Anglia4’s small bikes

anglia4

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

So this nearly survived another Eastcapescapade in November.

GT503.jpg.3cf4f36217278a74fb6773cd2bf6b849.jpg

The gearbox locked up about 5km short of the finish, so it got loaded on the trailer and I rode bitch on the RGV150 to finish the ride on a bike.

I finally got to pulling it down and found the same issue that I had riding into Gizzy the year before.

GT501.jpg.6b2085ba1d61ba976bcbc042c6e8149b.jpg

The selector retaining screw had wobbled out. You can see all the scratch marks where it had jammed the mechanism.

I put this back in with lots of loctite so hopefully it won't happen again!

I had been getting worried about the engine during the ride, I had convinced myself there was a bearing on the way out, so I whipped the head and barrel off and gave it all a good wriggle, but everything seems to feel nice and tight.

Plenty of oil deposits in there though! I'll be using a better quality oil going forward I think.

GT502.jpg.618699c19c3ee1f0273f920770edeb5b.jpg

I've cleaned all the carbon off everything and have just been waiting on a new set of rings to replace one I bent :(

I'm quite looking forward to getting it nanging around again. Hopefully I'll have it back together tonight!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Alrighty.

CRM update.

Manawatu Hondas finest parts man organised me a bunch of parts from Japan to get the carb back together and reinstate the auto oiler. Choice.

I asked around on the bucket bike pages if anyone had a spare choke knob, as these are the same carb as an NSR50, but a 15mm carb is no use to anyone on a race bike, so I knew there would be some hiding in parts bins somewhere. Sure enough I got a whole carb in the mail. Excellent.

I rebuilt my carb like a new one but the bike just wouldn’t run for more than a few seconds. Like a float issue. :(

I stripped and compared both carbs and found that the little posts that retain the float pin were chipped, and the float pin was well, floating. Good one pictured.

A87A51D2-CFD1-4B5D-B70F-6DAA420AC57F.thumb.jpeg.6600fb399a41f1a7d936294cdb8c9686.jpeg

So tonight I tossed the spare carb on with my original jets in it and hey presto, second gentle kick and it’s running!

stoked!

• Like 8

I’ve still got some carb issues to sort. The hoses are very hard and aren’t sealing so it pisses fuel everywhere and I think it’s sucking air into the oil hose. 

Last night I thought I’d see how much of the road gear was in the box of bits and assembled the front.

65ED3695-9770-4EDE-9498-647794D1E814.thumb.jpeg.27c72b3e17b23435c09a66224aa7828f.jpeg
7ACB1FBE-D8D9-4388-9C2A-C719886E6578.thumb.jpeg.219f2fb933541d4721c1e7191426a226.jpeg

919868D6-7AE2-4FDC-8992-DEE92E908356.thumb.jpeg.84ed48f5d8f70636622d6278ef9b07fd.jpeg

9CC8E788-9072-41A1-B447-7B4B052926C7.thumb.jpeg.18683913d4db688505545db4fd3f779c.jpeg

F8BD7F6E-10F2-4A5D-9747-544F583D2827.thumb.jpeg.09ae3fe3a1cf3e712b4e59992d25555f.jpeg

I was so stoked it was genuinely all there including most of the original screws. None of the wiring has been cut. The Speedo cable wasn’t lost. It even has the original key that matches for the fuel tank!

I fired it up quickly and it all came to life :)

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Freeing up the clutch turned out to be as easy as simply kicking it into gear the next time I started it up. Happy Days.

But then it became very apparent that the clutch is absolutely on its last legs. I've ordered a new one from the land of the rising sun, hopefully it will be here very soon. In the mean time I've been for a couple of short rides to see how things are going. Its awesome around the 50km zones, plenty of grunt and runs nice and crisp.

The speedo isn't working, which is annoying so I will sort that.

I've fitted a whites rear light bracket which fits quite nicely and looks nice and tidy.

Problem now is that it runs like dogshit when you start getting to higher speeds. It really doesn't seem to like being loaded up and having the throttle opened further. I've replaced the spark plug, but that doesn't seem to have helped. It is also spewing out mass amounts of blue smoke. Enough to leave a film of oil on the number plate. I'm trying to remember what fuel mix I did, and I'm a little suspicious that I may have mixed it up as 25:1 for the lawn mower. I might drain the tank soon and do a fresh mix to test that. The airbox also has the inlet cut out quite a bit, I have an un-modified airbox that I might try as well if the fuel mix doesn't solve the problem.

Time is running out to get it running mint!

• Like 1

On 05/10/2022 at 13:40, anglia4 said:

Problem now is that it runs like dogshit when you start getting to higher speeds.

Because it’s got a fucking speed limiter!!

I took it for a good 20km ride today, during which my fault finding brain was working hard to diagnose the conditions causing the poor running.

The only consistent variable was speed. So I disconnected the Speedo cable hoping it would solve the problem, it didn’t. So I googled it.

It turns out they have a rev limit which varies depending what gear it’s in to limit it to 50km/h.

A new CDI is the proper solution, but we are gonna try and trick it into thinking it never goes over 3rd gear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I made a start on replacing the clutch last week. What a ball-ache of a job...

First snag was that one of the clutch cover bolts, and hence the clutch cover, are tucked in behind the frame. So I had to pull out two engine mount bolts and an exhaust mount to jack the engine up slightly in the frame.

Next I discovered a special tool was required, which pretty much put the brakes on the whole exercise. Trademe came to the party on the tool pretty quickly.

817869693.jpg

So last night, Bucket Barry and I got set on finishing the job. I had overlooked buying a new gasket, so BB spent the best part of 2 hours making one. Buzzed the clutch nut off with the new tool. Whammo its all back together. Completely assembled, just waiting for new fluids.

Then Bucket Barry texts me at 11pm last night... He must have woken in a cold sweat... "Did you remember to do the lock tab on the clutch nut?"

:doubt::pukeright::???:

Fuckety Fucking Fuck

• Haha 2

On 15/10/2022 at 21:52, anglia4 said:

A new CDI is the proper solution, but we are gonna try and trick it into thinking it never goes over 3rd gear.

There was no tricking it. There must be a feed-back loop type thing wired in so any attempt at tricking the wiring with simple solutions ends with it shutting itself off when you get to the tricked gear.

I've ordered the new CDI, fingers crossed it gets here in time for the east cape ride. https://japan.webike.net/products/25012482.html

It left Japan nearly two weeks ago so hopefully its not far away now.

• Like 3