BBQ Build - Attempt to build a reverse flow offset smoker

Taistorm

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers man! 

We had another play around with the temps on this today. modified the firebox and removed the coal basket locator so we could push it right against the side by the cooking chamber. Half filled it with the Kingsford heat beads and a few bits of Manuka which worked a treat. Firebox was around 700 Fahrenheit and the cooking chamber got up to around 220 on the gauges. The heat gun was showing around 210-230 external heat across the chamber and we checked the grill plates later and they were showing approx 270. Realistically I think the internal/smoke heat might be around 230-250 which is perfect, might be worth in getting some other probes or upgrading the temp gauges down the track. Will be doing it's first proper cook tomorrow.

• Like 5

Try running lump, kingsford run great doing snakes ect in my kettle but ash up too hard and have had coals get ashbound when doing long cooks in my offset. I use commodities nz lump 24-25$ 10kg nice big pieces I normally start with a big chimney of it then switch to running wood and may alternate between the two depending how much wood I have I use alot of Pohutakawa. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jakesae101 said:

Try running lump, kingsford run great doing snakes ect in my kettle but ash up too hard and have had coals get ashbound when doing long cooks in my offset. I use commodities nz lump 24-25$ 10kg nice big pieces I normally start with a big chimney of it then switch to running wood and may alternate between the two depending how much wood I have I use alot of Pohutakawa. 

Yeah bro we kind of had a run of this today. Trying out different techniques to get it right.

• 2 weeks later...

bunnings has finally got around to stocking the fire rope (also the flat stuff) so could try sealing the doors a little more 

or

your chimney is rather tall so id say you a drawing too much cool air through any small gaps you have, try closing the chimney damper until you get some smoke seeping from the cracks around the door and your temp should rise

• Like 2