Fantapants 82 ke70

fantapants

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, fantapants said:

#nailedit 

Hey does anyone have any suggestions on how I can change the size of my pics ? The limit of 3.9mb per post means I can only get 1 pic, and a lot of the pics are saved as bigger.... any tips ? 

I just open them in MS paint and use the resize option. 35% works for me. Still big enough for forums, but file size much smaller.

Sorry lads, I havnt been very clear about things.

So yeah, it's a Nissan based irs  in the rear.

I had a s15 cradle, and a few mates sorted out all the arms and hubs  and shit.  So I've narrowed the cradle 100mm to allow for all the stock suspension geometry to remain, but allow it to fit in the bum same as a series.  (1410mm ) 

I had always wanted to make it so I could avoid all chassis mods, and I could have easily managed it if I left the cradle further #down.  But I really wanted good ground clearance, and importantly, good arm angle on the suspension arms at a nice low ride height.  

In the end I ran out of talent with bending the tubes, and had to notch  the chassis in one small place, and make some small box sections out of sheet to cover the holes for the front uprights.  They are small enough that the rear seats still fit fine with no physical intrusion. 

Other than that, it uses the front trailing arm mounts on the chassis as the front locations.  And small 20mm raised pads for the rear locations (using the same trailing arm mounts but in the vertical plane) this will allow me a small amount of rotation in the cradle to compensate for if I have got  the cradle plane off lol.

The diff is a 2 way 4.3 r180 a mate donated from dirty Nissan.  The axle is the worst part of it.  With a budget of virtually nill, the idea of a custom axle is the correct way to go, but simply impossible. 

So preface, this is NOT the right way to do this.  But I need the car running and I was curious if I could make it work.  So Nissan rear ends have an offset diff design with 2 lengths in the axles.  

So I made it so I could use the stock short axle as the long side, a d then had to shorten one axle by 100tmm.  I did this by machining the axle down (once shortneed ) and machining the guts out of the old spline.. then used a tight shrink fit and pressed (smashed with a big hammer) the spline over the end of the shorter axle.  Then I ran a small weld around the spline to add a little oompf  to the grip in rotation.  (Note all welds have been done with a filler known as weldmold 880.  This stuff I use for welding chromemolly bike frames.  It is a machinable stainless steel alloy specifically designed for anti crack properties and is very ductile. It is gorgeous to weld with snd is fantastic at joining dissimilar metals .... very much like 312 if you have ever used that )   there is no real faith being out in the axle, this is just a solution to get the car moving and the project stumbling to some sort of progress lol.  If  it lasts I'll be stoked, if it doesn't, well I knew I needed a proper one done. 

The engine is indeed a beams 3sge.  It's a bit of a mongrel.  When I bought it 6 years ago, I was under the impression it was a rwd 5th gen.  But it turned out to be a cobbled together 4th gen red top from the caldina.  :/   it was this that brought me here in fact.  Old mate Roman and his rwd converted beams gave me hope lol.  He has been instrumental in helping me get tot he point I'm at now with the engine about ready to go in.

I have made my own quads mount, cos you know.... and I modified the stock manifold.  Again not perfect, but I had access to a lot of free 2 inch tube and bends, so did the secondaroes out of 2inch stainless lol.  The exhaust is all 2.5 inch (very very crowded in the tail) 

I have modified the water path to suit rwd  rather than pull the head and swap gaskets over.  For me this was simply cost prohibitive lol, and the easier option.   I'm waiting on some more gifts from a mate on the mainland  to get started on the engine mounts.  I will use the same trailing a small mounts  on the front as I see for the cradle.  Will make sense once I start with some pics lol.

20191216_114241_compress61.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1