Altezza Fuel Pressure Regulator???

Hyperblade

Out of Toyota Altezza RS200

I've worked out the metal piece of this is the regulator which runs around 58psi.

Buy what is the plastic grey bit for? Seems to act like a regulator too but at like 30psi.

The partnumber appears to be for this entire unit.

Anyone got any ideas how it works?

IMG_20191123_152709.jpg

2 hours ago, Hyperblade said:

Out of Toyota Altezza RS200

I've worked out the metal piece of this is the regulator which runs around 58psi.

Buy what is the plastic grey bit for? Seems to act like a regulator too but at like 30psi.

The partnumber appears to be for this entire unit.

Anyone got any ideas how it works?

IMG_20191123_152709.jpg

The grey fitting I think went to the suction line.

Is it some way of using excess pressure to transfer fuel from something to main tank?

E3_039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a further update.

I've been putting all of this into a new fuel cell so was a bit unsure of what pressure the fuel needed to be at.

Many posts on the internet were saying 62psi for the BEAMS engine.

So to be safe I reused just the regulator and adapted it into the fuel cell.

image.thumb.png.c36a01c06a0e675dc22d5371e9d07caa.png

yeah was a bitch of a job as the whole lot had to fit in through the main hole...

I also had a pressure gauge on the output which meant I could see the fuel pressure was at 51psi.

Which i was a little bit worried about, but the car ran flawlessly at this pressure all day racing.

I reached out to NST and they came back to me with the correct Toyota part number for the whole unit which is 2302074010.

Now looking that up on Amayama shows that that unit is used across 3SGE, 1GFE, 1MZFE, 2MZFE, 5SFE, 3SFE engines.

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/2302074010

Doing a cross match on the Lexus RX300 which has the 1MZFE engine found me this aftermarket regulator

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-pressure-regulator/gp-sorensen-fuel-pressure-regulator-800-468/203289_594834_0

Which shows the operation pressure at 50psi.

This ties up with what i had also read where the IS200 was the same part number as the RS200 one and it was standard 50psi.

This of course all makes a lot of sense, as having one part means easier for Toyota to source and brings costs down, and they just change injectors and tune to suit.

Hopefully this info helps someone in the future :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ajg193 said:

How many different brands of hoseclips does that have on it?

I was down to my last ones and getting desperate!

The fact it works at all is a small miracle. Had to do the hard line to get everything in position. Could have brought more AN fittings but this is only v1 will tidy it up at some point (I'm sure everyone says that)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Truenotch said:

Cool to see the setup in more detail. What's the reason you chose to stay with the factory regulator instead of adding a return and running a regular FPR? 

I was in a rush to get it all done for race day, so if i had run a FPR I would have had to find out the pressure it was running at before then match it, plus would also had to run all the return lines, this way i didn't have to get a retune, or stuff around with the rail.

I also plan to put a surge tank in at some point, and i'm looking at a Radium one with the inbuilt FPR so would be a waste of money to buy another one in the meantime.

image.png.c8807d5c45e34006a001a264b68fd25a.png

http://www.radiumauto.com/FST-R-Fuel-Surge-Tank-with-Integrated-FPR-P348.aspx

The other thing is simplicity, I hate how race cars have all these hoses going everywhere for fuel, it's just more points of failure, all that shit should be built into the tanks/surge tank.

Normally you see in race cars (for returnless)

• Tank > Filter -> pump > Surge Tank > FPR > Filter > Rail 
  • FPR > Surge Tank
  • Surge Tank > Tank

Currently I have 

• Tank > Filter > Rail

Future Radium Setup will be

• Tank -> Surge Tank (FPR) -> Filter -> Rail
  • Surge tank > Tank.

That's pretty simple, and simple means more reliable and safer also.

/end rant about how people designing motorsport products aren't understanding the problem the customer is trying to solve...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Truenotch said:

Nice, that all makes sense. Running return lines in a rush before a race meeting would definitely be a pain in the ass! 

Do you have many issues with surge at the moment? 

Yep, was expecting it to be an issue, can't run less then 10L otherwise get starvation tank takes 30L and car used 10L for an 8 lap race. I just keep it fully topped up, at the moment.