Daves Other V-twin +Turbo (Drift Quad)

Muncie

My boy has been pestering me for a drift trike for ages.... since hes a stocky little bugger and more keen on doing donuts and power slides than jumps and going fast. 

this engine with heaps of torque and a capped rev limit should be just be the thing for big skids i just need to figure out how to package it.

4 wheels floats my boat better so could be some form of slammed quad with a solid mounted rear axle and short front suspension travel to help it dig in.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, HighLUX said:

I vote some sort of coupler between both the v twins and build a twin turbo v4

Ive looked and its possible to bang a chain drive between them piece of piss.... but it'll only smoke the clutch as its currently rated to 11hp ive machined it take more but ideally would need 2-3 of them on a jackshaft to transfer power to a decent tyre. At moment it just smokes up and goes with some traction it'd start breaking stuff again.

• Like 1

Considering ripping crank out and getting it machined down to 1" i can't even find a sprocket to fit let alone a clutch that isn't belt drive or $600 in 1 1/8".... i can get a sprocket from overseas but its a machine size pitch not anything i could use on a go kart etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muncie said:

Considering ripping crank out and getting it machined down to 1" i can't even find a sprocket to fit let alone a clutch that isn't belt drive or $600 in 1 1/8".... i can get a sprocket from overseas but its a machine size pitch not anything i could use on a go kart etc.

What size sprocket are ya after? Shaft size?

Hey its a 1 1/8 " shaft ideally id like to run a 428 pitch chain.  The size of the shaft also means im stuck with probably a 16-18 tooth i guess. 

Not that stuff isn't available it is just outside if my preferred gearing and i can't run a centrifugal clutch straight on the engine which adds to the complexity if making it useful.

3 hours ago, rusty360 said:

What size sprocket are ya after? Shaft size?

Made a set of zoomies! My neighbours are going to love me later....  muffler has long since been binned.

This thing appears to have a blind turbo oil drain cast in ready to go, in the perfect spot so i think I'll be making this the turbo engine now being newer and 80cc bigger will help im sure.

Also has more places to take oil off and an oil cooler.

1577484369071915227615379178771.jpg

20191228_110403.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The output shaft is pretty long anything extra off the end would be really hard on bearings with all the leverage and torque. Could make something compact to hold only a sprocket that would be ok but i would still need to run it to a jackshaft with a clutch... and probably a second jackshaft to get the gearing better or I'd be stuck with a 14" sprocket on the axle....

should just make up a bellhousing adapter and throw a gearbox off a 4k or something on it and drop in some light.

• 3 weeks later...

An hour in the ultrasonic cleaner later resulted in a pile of shit coming out of it! Could vapour  blasting make it look new ?

Anyway will polish the dash pot and think what im doing in lieu of the float chamber...... decided to get creative so i can run boost without needing a $300 fuel pump and $200 regulator. Aircraft mechanics at work have it figured out for me i just have to build it. 

20200123_152416.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered on my other engine equal length pipes dont seem to crack hence the pipe closest to turbo is doing a full loop and these will get far hotter as well. The other pipe will duck through the loop into bottom of the 2-1 collector.  I will brace the turbo to take the weight too.

Turbo location has been dictated by oil feed and drain locations and i have to keep space free for a clutch or drive of some kind and also keeping the hotside clear of anything plastic that could melt. (Lots on this engine) 

Whatever it goes in i can build around this configuration, still leaning towards a road legal trike.