LG's ebike prob-never-happen project

Lord Gruntfuttock

Shit that's cool. heaps of room for big batt pack, efficient frame mounted motor, big wheels, discs etc.
and a stubby holder.... :)

And yeah definitely a learning curve. I'm thinking of doing a classic electric scooter down the track, an old Tigress or BSA Sunbeam. Reckon putting batteries where the engine was and a grunty hub motor would be a hoot...

tigress.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dug the old BSA frame out of the shed for a cleanup...
Rf6hkMy.jpg

Been putting it off cos I'm a bit over cleaning up old shit, was thinking about putting new bars on...
DmuoNCQ.jpg?1

But some steel wool and WD40 and the old bars came out great...
8D5ZqfY.jpg

Love how good 50+ yr old chrome is...
6ziP6ap.jpg

So minor achievement, but should encourage me to get wheels finished so it's rolling at least...

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, h4nd said:

The escoot I have has a 24V brushed motor, plus chain and sprocket. It's a wee bit noisy, I think I'd prefer (or will add) a brushless front wheel because quieter. Just my $0.02

Brushless front wheels are great for flat lands but a little average when it comes to hills. Mid drive is great as you can run through the existing drivetrain to adjust gearing. 

• Like 2

Well that was disappointing. Went home at lunch to lace up the rear wheel, got started and things went awry pretty quickly, seems the other CR18 rim I have is a 32H. :scratch: Bugger.
Went though old emails and I did buy one 36 and one 32H (in 2015). Can't remember why, but I assumed they were both 36 when I found them in parts pile for this project. Ordered another 36H but my cheap build is getting more expensive... 

[Edit] vague memory now that the front rim was going on an old Dynohub, think it was 32H and I bought spokes to suit. Suppose I can still lace that up and swap for the motorised front rim if I change my mind in future...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sat in the sun and laced up rear wheel today. Used spoke washers as the old Sturmey Archer hub has thin flanges, and new spokes have too big a bend radius...
a9frNpX.jpg

Threw it in the wheel stand and bearings were adjusted so loose it wobbled all over the show, so cleaned, greased and adjusted them...
c9mGJdZ.jpg

And all set up on the home office desk to tinker with...
WfRMOn5.jpg

Quite theraputic doing this when stressed, wonder if I could get away with it at work...

[Edit] might need 2 washers on each spoke to fit right. Dang, lucky I have time... :)

• Like 8

Measured battery voltages this morning, ranged from 4.09 to 4.16V, so a 0.07V difference. Hooked up some lamps and drained high cells individually while working this morning...
YSo3wdi.jpg

Then when all even'ish drained the whole battery over a couple of hours, down to around 3.4v and chucked it on charge again, will see how even the cells are when it's charged...

Looked in the garden shed of future treasures and had a couple of old carriers. Of course only the rustiest one fitted...
QxFoTij.jpg

Then lubed the brake cables and reassembled, only really have around 1/2 front brake, but it'll do for now. Also shortened chain...
A1HFND2.jpg

And went for a short ride up the road, in rugby shorts, socks and slippers. Kids didn't want to go with me... :grin:
And hopefully (but seems unlikely) the battery and controller will fit in these 'vintage' bags (courtesy of Ali)...
boqUEd7.jpg

Gonna be tight up front, have to fit Sturmer Archer trigger shifter and throttle yet. Wonder if I can go LH throttle (think I bought a thumb-type lever) without it being upside down...
S0oIsIS.jpg

So may be able to rig some power up over the weekend. Quite excite..

• Like 4

Got her rollin' yesterday :thumbleft:

Started by fitting controller into the fake vintage leather bag I got from Ali. Was a tight squeeze, especially as the throttle connectors were wrong (M-M) so I just rigged some strip connectors, and I taped up the wires I didn't need (PAS sensor, headlight, brakes and cruise control)...
xSLoLb8.jpg

And thumb throttle couldn't be taken apart so had to remove the 50-yr old grips without buggering them to slide it on. The left one resisted gentle heat/wd40 spray, so decision made, throttle on right...
h6D17gi.jpg

And made up a heavy gauge power cable between battery pack and controller. This was around 8-10mm sq cable with XT60 connectors each end, and still measured around an ohm resistance. Not too many options if I want to keep batt pack at rear though. Couldn't find my cable ties so just insul-taped things together for trial run. Need to punch some brass  grommets into bag at rear so can cable tie to stays, it wobbles about a bit...
Hze6606.jpg

And still have no brakes, the pads are very hard, worn down, and cables at max adjustment. Will replace pads and make new cables when I can. BUT, when I plugged everything in and turned on the controller it ran. Quick test run showed me the controller was on upside down, (not reading 62km/h)  :-D
XRPlI10.jpg

I learned the throttle locked on at full noise if you hold it on for ?? seconds, so first corner was a bit hairy, no brakes and full throttle. I could either rig up a brake switch or just learn to blip throttle to reset when approaching corners/intersections. Bloody pleased it went though, back to garage for a few tweaks before proper test run...

• Like 6
  • Confused 1