Old computers

~Slideways~

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bonkas said:

@governorsam Keen on Amiga if it's for sale.

I have had many old machines over the years, thinking of trying to track some old machines down to relive my childhood.

I current have a fully working C64, A C64 with suspected faulty memory and a Amiga1200.

Do it, some classic games never get old. Others, not so much lol.

25 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Does anyone remember the Acorn computers? Had them in the class room when I was at primary in 95 and then they were replaced with compaqs running win95

We had something as a form 1 class computer in 1995, I thought it might have been a c64. Where Acorn’s In schools a common thing?

Ive been trying to find out what a game was but its hard when I don’t know the machine it was on lol.

On 21/11/2019 at 14:51, ~Slideways~ said:

Local recycling place has a couple of 5 1/4  drives. $5 each with no warranty and not tested.

One of them works! It must be the 6th one I’ve tested lol. It has a label saying it was purchased in 1992. 
E06E1688-2E71-4854-8409-FC66507D3FE9.jpeg.1dc3bdb5397a75c92b5fe0d36ebdc30f.jpeg

It even formatted a disk.

Now installed with the USB 3.5” emulator jobby:

IMG_5082.jpg.b4f7f600f35c3a4253fc7c481f9da7b8.jpg

Also my computer desk is some plywood I had screwed to a couple of drawers.

been holding on to these for a few decades now... :D such a good game although I was never that great at it.. I was probably about 6 or 7 when I last remember us playing it..
Did revisit it again last year sometime as pretty much all of those games are available to play in your web browser (abandonware I think the site was?)
and I think I downloaded a copy to run in dosbox as well..

but its cool seeing some of the old stuff still around

20191204_105834.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ~Slideways~ said:

We had something as a form 1 class computer in 1995, I thought it might have been a c64. Where Acorn’s In schools a common thing?

Ive been trying to find out what a game was but its hard when I don’t know the machine it was on lol.

We had Acorns too and same thing, Ive been trying to remember a game that we used to play! One day it will click!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RB30VB said:

been holding on to these for a few decades now... :D such a good game although I was never that great at it.. I was probably about 6 or 7 when I last remember us playing it..
Did revisit it again last year sometime as pretty much all of those games are available to play in your web browser (abandonware I think the site was?)
and I think I downloaded a copy to run in dosbox as well..

but its cool seeing some of the old stuff still around

20191204_105834.jpg

Cool that you still have the floppy’s! 
Never played that but the Google images look pretty cool too.

Another thing about emulators and dos box is it’s missing a whole lot of the nostalgia. No grinding floppy drives, no loud hdd background hum, no CRT scanlines, no crt monitor power on and off noises and static crackle, no old fashioned clicky  keyboard, no beige lol

Don’t get me wrong, Dosbox and browser emulation is amazing, I just wanted to do it with the real hardware.

The sound has to be right too, like I have a vivid memory of the pc speaker theme music for Space Quest but the dosbox emulation of a pc speaker is very different to an old paper cone internal speaker.

The first time I got it running on an old computer with real Dos and a real pc speaker it was like a time machine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

I think the olds still have the microprose grand prix game in it's original box, don't have a floppy drive to see if they still work though

Man I just remembered we had Indy 500, that game was amazing for its time, 1989 apparently. we must have had it around 1991. I'm pretty sure I mostly drove the wrong direction to see what kind of damage it would do. Good times lol