BlownCorona

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my experience with the Fraser I suspect your options are:
1) Go and find the doors.  Full screen and no doors is not a good combination
2) Take the screen off.  I have an aero screen that I can put on instead but then you need eye protection if not a full helmet
3) Use the deflectors as you have.  I have never actually tried this as the doors always made more sense

Regardless ear protection is useful.  If I am around town then I use a beanie over my ears which also has the benefit of protecting my balding head from sunburn.  On long trips I do that and also use cheap throw away foam ear plugs.

I know several people who have tried the wind deflector behind the seats with mix results and only with doors on.

Ill hopefully be dragging the Crown out this weekend to make a start on sanding it for paint so will hook the doors and roof out while i can. 

i much much prefer the car with no doors as its a far more fun experience, so if i can make it livable with the deflectors or another way then thats what ill do. currently with the quick thrown together deflectors i think its pretty good. just need to either make it slightly better or sus something to cover my ears, 

the beanie is a good ideal, though in the sun i wear a cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. an old workmate used to wear some dorky ear warmers in the winter that might be a solid option. he never seemed to have problems hearing us, but im sure they would cut out the wind rush. 

Image result for ear warmers

im interested to take it for a drive with the windsheild removed, though as you say face protection or a helmet would be required, which would also fix the wind blast issue anyway. 

i forget if i mentioned it in the build thread post, but a workmate also suggested lifting the screen slightly to create a gap between the glass and the screen to help equalsize the pressures and stop the turbulance. this is also something i can easily try, but will take some considerations to make sure the roof works. perhaps even putting together a new shorter screen to make up for the gap, if it works really well. 

i was out for a run a couple night ago and ran past a super cool vintage morgan so stopped to have a look at how it may combat this issue and i noticed it had both a large windsheild and also aero screens fitted at the same time. but with a hinge mechanism that would alow the full screen to lay flat, i wondered if this was done for when travelling at highway speeds. 

Image result for vintage morgan fold down windscreen

whod have thought a 60s style lotus rep would be so impractical  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the macks i drive have 'stone guards' on the front, the perspex wings effectively that have the trucks name on them usually. when i'm in the quarry the dust is incredible and it consumes the truck sometimes but theres a lot of dead air behind that wing and between that and the windscreen the dust swirls gently and settles on the bonnet, it sits there until i've driven aroundand out of the quarry at 30kph, driven onto the rd and i'm doing a decent speed, i dont know if thats a tuneable effect, or if you want a bug catcher on the front of your sleek looking car, but its information, and its written down now, maybe its useful. i hope so! 

• Like 2

thats effectively whats happening behind my windscreen. 

my head is in that swirling area you see you dust in and my torso and lap is in the dead still air. leaving my head taking a hammering. i expect its definitely a tune able aspect of the cockpit. 

ive even seen seven type cars with a perpex blade on the top of the screen. i may give that a go, but im pretty sure most of the problem is on the side of the screen

the stone guards on trucks are meant to create an airflow over the cab that blows the stones up and over yeah? like when you see a bird coming straight at your car windshield but it gets swept over the roof by the airflow. 

• 3 weeks later...

fuck that last pic you just posted looks so cool.  What a sweat place to go hooning about in something like a seven! In the mid 90's I used to drive down to chch after work on a frday night in my AW11 SC and spend the weekend at my brothers place just hooning about all the port hills and over the bays. Great fun.

One thing I reckon your car needs is some spacers to pump those rear wheels out to fill the arches.

Or just buy some wider turbos....

Yeah agreed on the rear wheel fitment. 

It looks even more dumb square on from the back cause the are only 185s on about 500mm of guard. 

They are also super super heavy, on one hand they are the original chevron wheels, but on the other hand Im pretty keen to drop the ~80kg I rekon I'm carrying extra. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

its pretty far off, did consider spacers, but would be an issue come wof time. i assume they were made to suit an mx5, since i cant think of much else thats 4x100 that would have stupidly wide steelies. 9.5 and 10.5 wide!

loving the look it gives it, ill eventually paint it in a classic style livery and the wheels probably wont stay black. 

either 4x4 or 4x100, i havnt measured them with anything accurate. 

they are pretty heavy for alloys, but also have some other issues, such as the shank nuts wall thickness to the centre bore is so thin that on several studs its even broken through, its been like that since '88, so i guess its fine, but i still dont like it, i also dont like the style or fitment. 

the steelies with their bigger tires feel slightly lighter than the alloys on my calibrated arm scales, but ill hopefully chuck them on the scales at work at some point. its probably near even tbh. 

• Like 1