BlownCoronas Lotus Seven

BlownCorona

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been through the rollbar thing on my Fraser.  When I bought it the car already had a log book but with the approved bar I was still not allowed to enter dual sprints at Ruapuna as it was deemed too low.  Getting a new taller one made was a bit of a mission as the structure of the car simply doesn't allow a (technically) compliant MSNZ bar to be attached, the rear stays would end up way behind the car so have to be steeper to mount in the boot.  The forward bar is an issue if there is not somewhere on the chassis to mount it to already.  It took quite a lot of communication with technical staff at MSNZ to get it done.  Of course if the isn't log booked then you will probably get away with just make something taller and it won't be an issue.  Let me know if you want more details.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

i may take you up on that offer when it comes time to build one. 

the boot in the chevron is actually behind the rear seats and the gas tank is where your rear stays go, my rear stays (and seat belts) bolt onto the very rear most lateral bar. and im not too sure whats underneath that. hopefully its a strong area. itll need some investigation.

20191102_172059.thumb.jpg.3363ee63422aa0a5e3b922867ff57a7b.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah its possible to fit the largest 3.3 litre Victor FD discs onto a viva front end if you use the victors lower arm, upright and hubs. I had that setup on my V6 Viva.  But some of those parts are getting hard to find- especially the lower ball joint and the inner hub bearing is almost non- existant now. Its an odd size.

When you ever come to needing bits just swap in the Viva magnum 1800/hc ohc front parts and discs. Only 12mm smaller but way way lighter and easy to get parts for.

There are vented disc options that can be had using renault 21 discs etc- but you might not need that cooling on such a lightweight car- especially if you changed to a wheel style with more airflow eh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

+1 for wof and run as is

you have no idea how much this is true, 

i dont want another major project, it can get made safe and legal and sent.

hoping that air filters dont upset the sound too much, but i suppose they are required though. have to figure out what to buy and what works with the really nice cast trumpets it has 

3 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

you have no idea how much this is true, 

i dont want another major project, it can get made safe and legal and sent.

hoping that air filters dont upset the sound too much, but i suppose they are required though. have to figure out what to buy and what works with the really nice cast trumpets it has 

For a weekend car, are filters really needed......

Personally I wouldn't want to drive around with a standard diagonal belt. The Fraser has a quick release turnbuckle race harness with crotch strap on the drivers side and one of those ones you posted on the passenger side. 

The race one is a bit of a faff to use but you get used to it. In some ways they are easier than those 4 point ones because all the straps are loose so when you are sitting on them it is esier to deal with plus the crotch strap stops you submarining which can be an issue. My car is logbooked but have never needed it to get a WOF with the harnesses. Even if questioned I would be happy to argue the safety aspect. Finally if you want to do any motorsport with it then the diagonal won't cut it.

• Like 3

Oh diagonal absolutely wouldn't be used for Motorsport. Even the low levels I plan on. 

The belts I have in it now are a normal style race harness and there's just not enough adjustment in it. So at any rate I'll have to change to something. 

Thanks for the input! I have plenty to think about 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BlownCorona said:

I think some form of ear protection may be a good idea as the wind rush can get quite loud, if anyone has any suggestions for something that can sheild my ears from the wind, but wont mean i cant hear surrounding traffic ect making it dangerous id love to see them. i tried some old ear phones but they blocked out too much surrounding noise for my liking. ive driven with a hoodie over my heat and its much better, but often not practical. 

i use these https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/-0S8AN6SE/title/ear-plugs-2-0 for surfing as i have bad surfers ear.

They cut out the wind but still let you hear, and come with various bits to let you size them to your earholes - recommended

They have come out with a v3.0 now, so wait till T7 puts the v2 on  special (the price is more than i paid from a proper surf shop a couple years ago, just first link i found)

• Like 2