anyone used a turbo scavenger pump/recommendations

ThePog

I started looking at pumps and stuff when I was thinking of doing a rear mount turbo. 

I did a cert for a guy who did low mount turbos on a commodore and he had to run the pump on a timer otherwise if the pump stopped when the ignition was turned off, there was enough oil hanging around to leak past seals etc, and it would get oil all through the piping . 

Apparently the fix is to run a little sump (he couldn't due to everything being so low) that the scavenge pump can suck out of, so that any remaining oil can drain into the sump. I was thinking of using a small bottom sump section either bolted to another one, or make a flat lid on one  

As for a scavenge pump, there's cheap chinese ones but they dont handle the heat and constant running very well and the good ones were kinda pricey. I think www.theturboforums.com had some info on pumps   

Like the steel part in this pic. A trans pan might also work?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The setup on the skid factory Bedford was a little diecast box, probably 120mm x 75mm x 50mm. It was vented to the breather system to prevent air locks. I guess all it needs to hold is the oil from the turbo and some of the oil feed line. This seems like plenty, so I am not sure you would need a pan as big as a transmission one unless you were really stuck for space.

I can make a decent sized box anyway, there is plenty of room underneath.

I have the position where the ac compressor was, I can drive something off that if needed. I have been toying with the idea of an engine oil pump with a pulley mounted to the front, but I guess there might be lubrication issues if it wasn't flowing the full amount..

I found this which might do though;

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/12v-electrical/plumbing/seaflo-oil/diesel-gear-pump?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9fntBRCGARIsAGjFq5HM_g2-082J4KoI7IstMdhmfTVWJlbmXPGRgAxpFSYysNXbf5WCBfUaAs_gEALw_wcB

Or this which is much the same;

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2378356854

I also messaged skid factory to ask about theirs...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ajg193 said:

How fast do turbos cook if one of those pumps fails? Would it be worth wiring a pressure switch into your ignition?

This is why I'm heading towards a mechanical pump, I reckon this would be pretty low maintenance.

On 04/11/2019 at 09:06, Ghostchips said:

I know someone used a power steering pump
/ling

23 hours ago, ThePog said:

Na man that's good, they pump oil, they have a v belt on the front, they work at normal engine revs...

/zeroling

Theres a few cars with electric power steering pumps that might work?  if you have a small alloy sump it would dissipate enough heat before the pump I would think. A class mercs are one, probably others too. maybe some toyotas? MR2? MR-S?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cletus said:

Yea thats good stuff.

I had a wee chat with Al from the Skidfactory, he was pretty helpful. He reckoned a power steering pump wouldnt like the low flows, which is what i was concerned about as well. We also discussed using the WRX/Forestor scavenge pumps, which is where I am tending towards now. They are built for it and shouldnt be too hard to adapt to a V belt drive.

I will see what sort of $$ they are going for.

• Like 2

VDO pump specs

VDO Universal Engine and Transmission, Differential Oil Pump

This small 12 volt pump is designed for pumping gearbox and/or differential oil.
It has also been used for pumping oil to motorcycles fitted with Turbos. Can be
used as an oil cooler circulation pump. Can also be used as a Turbo scavenge pump
for low mounted Turbos to better drain oil and avoid oil blowing through seals.

Features & Sizes
- Voltage 12V ONLY
- 160 Litres Per Hour
- 4 Bar Pressure (58 PSI)
- 100 to 150 Degrees Celcius working Temperature
- 16.0mm Diameter Inlet
- 7.8mm Diameter Outlet (Straight) - 9.0mm Lip
- 127.0mm Overall Length

41-689_a.jpg

• Like 1