BlownCoronas 1988 Lotus Seven (Chevron)

BlownCorona

Continuing through the list of wof things that done work. 

A new front right indicator bulb has the right hand side indicators working, wired in series maybe? Possibly the stalk switch just needed cycling to get the switch to work. 

Adjustment on the brake light switch has them working too. 

The horn stated working out of the blue, I suspect a similar issue to the indicators with some switch cycling magic. 

Still no tail lights though (have headlights Park/hi/lo) , however since one the the light units is cracked alot, and since they use weird festoon bulbs and since the identical unit is available new, using bayonet standard bulbs for like $40. I'll order up some new tail lights and if they still don't work, trace the wiring back. 

Screenshot_20191110-105733_Gallery.jpg.6106ed39023fc7af3a5694b4f7c22a9c.jpg

Screenshot_20191110-105748_Gallery.jpg.b239c307030882201999720029b053c1.jpg

So apparently its true that this does have a Holden Torana (9"?) diff and brakes, and thankfully I only needed to remove one spring and nudge a pad sideways to get the slave cylinders out. There is fluid right up to the cylinder but zero movement. I can't budge the pistons on either side (should I be able to?) and I doubt they are costly so new items will go back in. 

Screenshot_20191110-105802_Gallery.jpg.d7e95969ba5bb0adbd76f07dc9a8282e.jpg

I also have it fresh oil this weekend and had a look at the spark plugs, turns out they were mx5 plugs, so treated it to a set of correct plugs. There appears to be a weep still from the sump plug, I thought the lack of copper washer was to blame but put a new one on and still possibly a minor weep. Couldn't see any cracks and it wasn't threaded, perhaps I should have used a fibre washer? 

Things still to buy for a wof are some new headlights, the ones in it are sealed units and half blown or cracked lenses, hopefully I can get some H4 replacement units.

I'll also need two new / good second hand quality harnesses. If anyone has any out of date but good/unused belts kicking around? Track day legal would probably be a must too, which I think is 5 years out of date? Else I'm just gonna end up paying twice. 

I'm also keen to make a 'track spec' roll bar. The stock unit is bolted on and would be okay for street use, plus works with the roof, but with a helmet and new regulations at ruapuna requiring 50mm head clearance probably won't be allowed. I also probably won't be able to full cage it easily so passengers will be a no go, fine by me. And means I can possibly run a foward running roll bar strut down to the chassis in the passengers foot well. I'll need to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about, but a hot swappable street / track roll bar would be ideal. Id also like to remake the OG roll bar to modern standards and ditch the crush bent tube, even if it is about 5mm thick.

• Like 4

I was going to put this through for a wof this afternoon or tomorrow. 

Drove it in to work which was super fun, chucked it up on the hoist at lunch time and replaced several of the rivets that hold the floor panel on. 

Screenshot_20191122-200544_Gallery.jpg.9136335e8b585d6d9b272a94cd445926.jpg

The wind somewhat came out of my sails when looking just how scummy it was under there, no actual rust. But heaps of flaking paint and surface shit. 

I'd rather spend a day with a wire brush, some rust converted and a few cans of black paint, than ask a wof guy to ignore the shittest looking undercarriage he'll see all month. 

Also the radiator bottom tank is pretty hammered, looks like someone jacked it up at the front and hooked it. The cheapo half radiator civic ones everyone uses look to be a perfect fit, and will likly help with the overheating I experienced on the way home. 

Looks pretty yuck in the radiator and I'm picking its pretty blocked up, and that the thermostat is pretty similar, so a good flush out and a thick civic alloy rad should sus it. 

Also noticed the bush's on the rear shocks are done, will whip the shocks out and see if they are OK, and maybe just re bush them. Fronts seem OK, they are nice spax damper adjustable units, but are probably still too stiff for such a light car? 

On a more positive note, I discovered driving without mirrors is scarey as fuck, and found supercheap have these awesome little rear veiw mirrors on a suction cup! Very pleased with it. 

Screenshot_20191122-200519_Gallery.jpg.a3b66ed7b31f083c816f0dff48e67b0b.jpg

I'm also strongly considering changing the belts to normal lap and diagonal for street use, as cool as race harnesses are, they suck for street use, and probably arnt legal without an authority card, We'll see though. Maybe some dot rated clubman style harnesses with the standard belt clip, could be a good middle ground. 

1512642071_images(13).jpeg.f26df3008a11542cb8f0723eb60fa8f4.jpeg

But god damn is it fun to drive

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

20191221_105118.thumb.jpg.ee835cdae5840b81054efb4ddda530e2.jpg

Took it for a wof this morning. Never been so stoked on a fail in my life! I was prepared for serious issues given how long this has been sitting, although I'd been over it and felt everything was good. Maybe I should just back myself more. 

Only failed on

No rear reflectors - new tail lights don't have them and I never noticed. 

Rear directional tires backwards - dumbass me out the wrong wheels on the wrong side when in a hurry the other day. 

And the only real sticking point being the harnesses, the wof man wants to ring land transport and clarify if they are OK without an authority card as the car was built with them. Not sure how this is going to go and I'm about to post in the wof/cof/cert thread, but feel free to comment on the discussion page if you have input. 

I would be happy to run a lap and diagonal belt on the street and a 4 or probably 5 point harness on the track coupled with a new roll bar, but don't want to stray into cert territory. 

There's a slim chance land transport will give me an early Xmas present on Mondays though... 

• Like 8

Spoke to Evan Fray from Chevron Engineering today.

he said they were only ever intended to run a lap belt from factory, and the laws support this configuration so ive got some lap belts to put in tonight. that should see it wofd. but we all know how dangerous that would be. even the wof guys agree the harness is much safer, so ill probably put the harness back in for actual driving, but fingers crossed itll be wofed tomorow.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20200202_185731.thumb.jpg.2a2167b4f62803573064aa67e7ce63ad.jpg

More just driving! 

The fuel line banjo bolt came slightly loose and I could smell fuel while driving, pulled over to see it spraying fuel everywhere. Not ideal. Tightened it back up and problem free for the rest of the drive. 

Drill the bolt and lock wire? Loctite? A different kind of fitting?

What's the go to for these? (weber dcoe) 

• Like 8

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

took this to get a wof today in preparation for another sweet summer hooning around, failed on general service items so pretty please. 

needs; 

rear diff/axle seals

number plate light to go (already fixed was just some corosion)

a crack fixed on what they thought was the steering mount, turns out its just an allow cover over a hefty steel mount, will still fix, but likley isnt an issue anyway. 

steering doesnt return to centre, and has a bit of a stiffer spot when turnin to the right hand side - unsure what this is, hoping no biggie, might be ball joints? wow shop suggest it could be the UJ but it apears to only happen one direction. maybe just good regrease. 

steering column has play near steering wheel - took the top end appart and looks like the bearing is wearing, looks to be an HB viva column to match the front end - *calling @yoeddynz * do you know where i could source that pressed steel bearing thats not $80+AUD? otherwise ill probably just jamb a normal double row bearing in there. could probably pack this one with grease and have it come right too if i get stuck. 

128080796_380552646582238_771818352303184699_n.png?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=sw1w0iHwb2sAX9PQHfC&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg1-1.fna&oh=2c25ed2d0f638ecab53fc184e568d961&oe=5FED981F

who are the rich boomers keeping rarespares in business huh?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1