• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Retirement plan. Buy 300 shitty old outboards nobody wants, spend ages and $$$ getting them going and sell at a loss...

Tried to register on UK Seagulls forum again to show them the above hoard, have tried 3 times and never heard back, and when I try now it tells me 'that email is already registered'. Maybe they don't like the usernames I've entered, so used my last remaining email address today with user name 'Barry Womble'.

That should do it...

• Like 9

Was nudged into action today, bodged up some glass repairs on the dinghy. Typical cracks along the edge...
ZvlV95E.jpg

I drilled a hole at the end of each crack, feathered the repair section then taped underneath and laid some glass mat and epoxy on it...
29unOmO.jpg

Just did a few to see how things go...
catr7ES.jpg

The other side has some bigger damaged sections. Will keep tinkering away. Messy job though, got epoxy dripping all over the show...

• Like 4

Flipped it over at lunchtime and peeled tape off...
hT0tohf.jpg

Sanded back to get a rough surface and laid long strips of cloth with some yellow pigmented resin along the sides. Used some red plasticine to stop resin flowing where it shouldn't. Works much beter than tape...
T51dQzr.jpg
And colour looks great...
fi9lvbc.jpg

So the rails are straight (I'd clamped them for first application of glass) and should be strong AF now, will tidy up the top side (sand down and paint) and re-drill the rowlock holes. Still have some sections extending down the sides of hull to patch, will try using epoxy silica filler to make a paste that shouldn't run...
cv9kZL6.jpg

On the front, the whole rail needs rebuilt similar to the sides (had bits missing). I'll patch the weak spot on the hull with a layer of cloth and yellow top coat/filler paste...
wNrPykl.jpg

And back at work with dust in my hair, bright yellow boogies and a sense of achievement...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/11/2019 at 21:08, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Might dab a bit of 'direct to rust' satin black on the bits that need it... :)

Did some things today. Stripped the Villiers carb, not too bad inside, a few previous bodges made it tricky to get apart, but they're a simple beast...
ilX83fN.jpg

And cleaned, lubed, reassembled and ready to go...
JgzTGi8.jpg

And assembled the ignition too. Didn't feed the brown wire corrrectly but didn't notice till I checked old pics. Should run under the insulation plate in the points box, but soldered now so she'll be right. There's a new Villiers condenser under there too...
fgvugxp.jpg

And araldited a new felt pad to the sprung steel arm...
1nipj2R.jpg

Looks good, hope it works...

Where’d you get the coil and the condenser from? I think mines got a condenser issue as it runs good at full throttle for 1min before the power dies off.

Plus keen to have newer electronics as mines all OG. 

Looks super tidy too!

• Like 2