• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts arrived yesterday from the UK so I'll be able to assemble the mounting bracket properly. But time to look at my pleasure craft dinghy. Transom was obviously rotted out...
Gs02uaX.jpg

And I couldn't figure out what was filling the gap between the two wooden sections, was bog... 
alh3FW4.jpg

So unbolted/pried it apart, quite a few slaters living in it...
axe1M4y.jpg

and seemed to be stuck on with a gallon of silicon...
yAmnRJ5.jpg

But cleaned up looks ok. 
rlxXXd2.jpg

And all under the edge of the boat (the gunwale?) any cracks had been 'repaired' by screwing lumps of wood to it. All rotten AF now...
GmhMs0P.jpg

SyCFIbI.jpg

So fair bit of fibreglass repair work to do but basically sound. I may look at using HDPE plastic as a replacement transom board to avoid painting/epoxy coating marine ply, will see how cost effective it is...

• Like 5

That low compression test (around 55 lbs) has been bothering me, but I realise now it was probably done with the throttle closed, and with a dry bore, so might be better than that? Just done some research however, and Barry-forum-consensus indicates it's probably ok on these wonderful machines...

"The Century and Silver Century, Model 102, from new 55psi, but they work well down to only 35psi, amazing!"
"
The best Century or Silver Century I've seen has about 72 psi, I'm happy if I find one that is 60 cold and dry. They seem to run well at 50 psi and I've seen them run with 35 psi."
"
Most Centuries and Silver Centuries I come across show compression numbers of 50- 65 psi by my gauge, my best one being 72 psi. The worst I've measured was 35 psi."

So that's good, might run another test on weekend to confirm, and also raise the needle a little to richen it up to see if that reduces backfiring, think it's a couple of turns below flush... :)

• Like 2

Had more 'sea trials' in the wheely bin on Saturday, in the pissy rain, after a lunchtime pint down the pub. It may have been the beers but mate is super keen for maiden voyage... :)
lQrbVeo.jpg
Ran it for around 40 mins all up, trying out different carb taper needle screw levels. It runs really well on full noise but struggles at lower throttle settings, backfires and stops. Thought it was too lean as it would run with the choke 3/4 on at around half throttle, so raised the screw flush and it went slightly better, but raising it any further didn't help. Really not sure how these are supposed to run, and if it comes down to it can just mang it at full tit I suppose (speed trolling for fast trout)...

Plug looks like this, I'd be really happy if this was a bike, but thought a 2-smoker at 10:1 would run a darker colour? 
uEtbsz5.jpg

Would have run it longer but doesn't always flow water through in the bin (think it sucks a lot of air with prop going) and was scared of cooking it. Gave me some confidence though that it runs for a while and starts from hot, now need to glass up the boat...

• Like 4

Very small effort over the weekend. After looking at marine ply and HDME options I cut some transom plates out of scrap builders ply, cos I'm cheap and had it in the shed...
IgIqzrS.jpg

And just decided to paint them with epoxy to see how it goes. Drilled holes oversize and put tape underneath so they filled with resin, will flip over and do other side when set. Hopefully when I drill the holes out smaller they'll be properly waterproofed...
Tmwfdm2.jpg

And discovered holes in the boat aren't anywhere near true, just randomly installed so one drilling was really close to the edge of the internal plate. I shifted it inwards on my plates and will fill/drill new one in the rear of the dinghy. Beats me how someone can drill visible holes without lining things up... :scratch:

• Like 2

On 25/11/2019 at 10:21, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Had more 'sea trials' in the wheely bin on Saturday, in the pissy rain, after a lunchtime pint down the pub. It may have been the beers but mate is super keen for maiden voyage... :)
lQrbVeo.jpg
Ran it for around 40 mins all up, trying out different carb taper needle screw levels. It runs really well on full noise but struggles at lower throttle settings, backfires and stops. Thought it was too lean as it would run with the choke 3/4 on at around half throttle, so raised the screw flush and it went slightly better, but raising it any further didn't help. Really not sure how these are supposed to run, and if it comes down to it can just mang it at full tit I suppose (speed trolling for fast trout)...

Plug looks like this, I'd be really happy if this was a bike, but thought a 2-smoker at 10:1 would run a darker colour? 
uEtbsz5.jpg

Would have run it longer but doesn't always flow water through in the bin (think it sucks a lot of air with prop going) and was scared of cooking it. Gave me some confidence though that it runs for a while and starts from hot, now need to glass up the boat...

Never run a seagull in a bin with the prop fitted, allways take it off

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I lol'd at the Greta bit.   You cunt :-)

I enjoyed doing up the seagull we found on our land. Neat wee things. But not butty enough for our little Noelex so I get to look forwards to finding a suitably bigger and equally old/ shagged outboard to do up one day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Transom done and I've moved the dinghy into the carport to start glassing up the cracks. Seems I have a boatport now...
3RIaYXO.jpg

Graound down around all the cracks and holes, found a surprising amount of bog in the front. Not really sure how to patch this up so I'll do a bit of research before getting covered in epoxy...

• Like 3