• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant! Good to see another one being rebuilt.

What colour flake haha?

Mine’s been sitting in the garage all winter but will no doubt be put back into the water during summer. Found they like mineral 2 stroke oil way better than synthetic, doesn’t foul the plug as easy with its eco friendly 10:1 fuel/oil premix.

• Like 1

So I should build a foil for my seagull powered dinghy then...? :wink:

Here's a pole piece with M5 stud, doesn't look out of place...
2bvCkmO.jpg

And the new coil arrived so I did a bit last night. It's a bit shorter so made up some spacers, used a 7/16" bolt to fill magnetic air gaps at end of rod, a tight fit so I tapped the hole to M4 so I could get them out if they got stuck..
sAXpt16.jpg

and made a couple of plastic spacers as well, pic shows comparison to original coil...
99Ciu0n.jpg

And how it looks in place (but upside down so I could see grub screws)...
dhcOtJo.jpg

Problem now is the BA thread? [edit - not BA, standard 5/32"] grub screws only just touch the edge of the coil rod, and I broke one of them trying to tighten it enough to prevent the coil from turning. I'll probably tap out the grub screw thread to metric, and either screw the metal spacers to the new coil or file notches/flats in both pieces so they locate in the right position. Also have to make a brass/copper contact pad for the HT lead to connect to. Coming together though...

• Like 4

Looks good man.

With the carb, screw the needle in a couple of turns below when it’s flush with the slide. There’s a lot of info out there that says they should be set flush with the top of the slide. Found it ran way rich and didn’t make power out on the water till I screwed the needle down a bit further into the slide. 

Going wild on the paint job?

• Thanks 1

Aaaand fucked up the paint job. Rushed home at lunch and cos time pressured I either didn't shake can enough / was too cold (unlikely) / applied too heavy an application and got a lovely crazed affect I didn't want. (potentially cos Duplicolor paint on VHT primer?) Of course I tried painting over it with second coat to 'fix it' and it doubled down the crazing.

So scraped it off and will sand back when dry enough and start again. Every time I try to take shortcuts it bites me and makes more work. You'd think a person would learn... :blackeye:

• Sad 1

A much better lunchtime experience. I put yesterday's failure down to grabbing an old can out of the shed and not agitating it enough / not testing spray pattern before applying. Same can went mint today anyway...
Aw2jiLU.jpg

And some bits arrived from Simply Seagulls yesterday, should be able to assemble it over the weekend...

• Like 5

Wasn't going to paint the tank, quite liked the honest dents and grime, but when cleaning the inside with meths lots of old paint came off so stripped it back...
QvKaZmw.jpg

Was interesting cos my bottle of Tergo strip had congealed. Tried smearing it on as a paste but didn't seem to be working, then brushed on some other stripper. Lotsa smoke and bad fumes so chucked it in a bucket of water outside and wire brushed the gunk off and scuffed it...
SEasOI6.jpg

And hit it with 3 coats of black Durepox. Deliberately left dents...
ZuLFMn2.jpg

Then looked at bracket setup. I'd bought a new used one as mine had a broken side tab...
9tDKaKF.jpg

And after cleaning and tapping new threads where necessary it came out good for another few decades hopefully...
svrG8Fp.jpg

Rapt with the new thrust block, came with clamp and chains etc for $10 from Simply Seagulls... :)

• Like 3