Adoom's 1956 Meuser Lathe(Big German)

Adoom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the bath now is the 3 jaw.

I degreased and cleaned it with petrol. It was pretty filthy inside but otherwise seems okay.

It's a weird chuck. The jaws slide on an angle. It makes it stronger I think?

20191108_211233.thumb.jpg.56e0289ef4eb404c87e2aefe09aba449.jpg

20191108_211218.thumb.jpg.90046cba038bb621482a8229781b26b2.jpg

20191108_211158.thumb.jpg.0f0d30ff4409a148a766b42a715726da.jpg

20191108_210954.thumb.jpg.939fe712e3b828edbeeba651b0ba0e23.jpg

And the threading counter thingy. I've degreased it and put it in the bath too.

I'm running out of stuff to de-rust!

• Like 6

So these are the oil level sight glasses. They are plastic. They were too dirty to see through. 

The 3rd one, from the headstock, was leaking enough to need a bucket. It was broken and it wasn't pressing on the seal properly. Removing it made it much much more broken.

The 4th one, from the carriage, was leaking a little bit because it was broken. It came out without more damage.

The first one is from the threading gearbox. It could be reused. I managed to clean it enough to see through.

The 2nd one is from the headstock, but it lets you see that oil is flowing and the oil pump is working. It's broken, but still seals. It's pretty hazy though.

All the o-rings are hard.

Those stars live inside the oil level sights so you can see the oil against a white background.

They seem to be proprietary. Yay....

The threads are quite coarse. M33x2.0mm, M26x1.75mm and M21x1.75mm.

All I've been able to find are 1.5mm pitch.

I'm contemplating popping my thread cutting cherry and trying to make something that will take an inexpensive generic sight glass.  

20191109_221957.thumb.jpg.93af73d8703c9b7f3b2280dd2104d03b.jpg20191109_221944.thumb.jpg.637c8d1e6b8aa374b35e8e18facbe71c.jpg

I just had a thought.... I could ignore the thread and just silicone some perspex discs into the holes!

Edited by Adoom
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Vapour said:

Looking good. What power supply are you running on the bath? 

It's just a cheap battery charger. I'm not sure how many amps it's doing. I have to submerge my whole hand before I can feel the pulsing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adoom said:

It's just a cheap battery charger. I'm not sure how many amps it's doing. I have to submerge my whole hand before I can feel the pulsing

Sweet. I have a Orion coal range that I want to derust. I can't be arsed blasting it. Was planning on using a lap top charger. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Vapour said:

Sweet. I have a Orion coal range that I want to derust. I can't be arsed blasting it. Was planning on using a lap top charger. 

That would probably work. I got my Bicarbonate of soda from Mitre10. It's with the laundry powders. It's called laundry soda or washing soda or something like that. It looks like almost clear, big crystals. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, datlow said:

M33x2

NZ$ 0.55 | M12/14/16/20/22-M60 Metric Male Aluminum Oil Sight Glass Window Use For Air Compressor Lathe
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/elK1fNfK

for the other two that’s pretty close to 1/2 and 3/4 bsp? Bung them in with some sealant?

Close...ish. I found brass ones which would suit the lathe more than aluminium I think. For $26 I'll give it a go.

On 01/11/2019 at 10:22, Muncie said:

had an exact same one at my old work which has since shut doors wonder if its the same machine.

Would you know what oil it needs for the headstock? The Meuser site only has two kinds of oil. No brand name ISO VG 22 for the headstock and feedscrew gearbox. And ISO VG 220 for the carriage and ways.

I've found Cimglide 220 for the carriage. I have no idea how much it takes...

But I'm just getting confused trying to find an ISO VG 22 for lathe gearboxes.... I keep finding "hydraulic oil" in that viscosity..... is it the same thing????

23 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

I use a laptop charger,  works well.  

Add in an ammeter to show that your connections are good 

I use vinegar now,  same exact outcome with none of the wires

On 10/11/2019 at 20:56, Adoom said:

Would you know what oil it needs for the headstock? The Meuser site only has two kinds of oil. No brand name ISO VG 22 for the headstock and feedscrew gearbox. And ISO VG 220 for the carriage and ways.

I've found Cimglide 220 for the carriage. I have no idea how much it takes...

But I'm just getting confused trying to find an ISO VG 22 for lathe gearboxes.... I keep finding "hydraulic oil" in that viscosity..... is it the same thing????

I searched around for a headstock oil for the work lathe, in the end it was 46 grade hydraulic oil. So yep it wouldnt surprise me if that was it.