3Y-E Slow Starting

ajg193

So my 1995 Hilux has a little issue that I find somewhat annoying and I'm sure someone on here would have encountered this sort of issue before.

3Y-E engine. Base timing set to 5 deg BTDC, plugs in good condition.

Here's what happens:

Engine starts after the first compression when dead cold and when hot or when just turned off.

If the ute has been sitting for between half an hour and 3 or so hours it takes a couple of seconds worth of cranking and then it catches, stumbles for a second and then runs fine.

What could be the cause of this? A leaky injector? Some shitty warmup routine?

I replaced the fuel pump and filter when I first got the ute (filter was clogged and pump died), so those can probably be ruled out. The ute runs absolutely perfectly when it is running and gets reasonable enough fuel economy.

Thanks all.

Note: I'd ideally not go around randomly ripping out the fuel injectors and cleaning them, they are the older multi-part design that tends to start leaking out of the housing if you so much as look at them wrong.

1 hour ago, BlownCorona said:

Serious question. 

It's a 95 hilux that sometimes takes a couple of seconds to fire, why even waste your time thinking about it? 

It's more just one of those annoying things that would be nice to fix if it is something simple 

• Like 1

have no proof, but have heard of separate water temp sensors just feeding the ecu doing weird things. 

back when my 18rg was running on the stock ecu it would do a weird pulseing rev. we decided it was probably something like a weird sensor and it would disappear once the megasquirt when on, which it did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Iv had a map 3y with a cold start....

If it does and unplugging the injector fixes it the problem is the cold start temp sensor, if it doesn’t have one for some reason then the ecu coolant temp sensor is also the problem otherwise you got leaky injectors

20191106_190906.thumb.jpg.7a53c07825819d8d1435bcf8562e68de.jpg

Can't see any cold start injector, parts diagrams don't list one either as far as I can tell.

Bridging the terminals just gives a steady flashing of the check engine light, a little faster than indicators. I haven't been able to find a repair manual for 3Y-E so I don't know if that is normal operation or not. I only ran the engine for a few seconds as I wasn't taking it out for a drive. CEL was doing the same with engine off and ignition in on position.