Working out bump stops

Kimjon

What I'm trying to explain in above, is 45mm of movement at the bump stop, equals 80mm of wheel travel at the outer edge.

So if I have an 80mm gap at the bump stop point, before bump stop contacts, then 80-45mm=35mm packer required.

May as well make it 50mm to allow for squish of rubber?

I think I've got it right after looking at this morning after a good nights sleep. I was super tired = brain stopped working...

The impala has 2" drop spindles, hence the reason it's having issues. Plus wider tyres aren't helping either.

I'm not sure on the amount of squish I should allow on the stop itself?

images.jpeg.04cfd26c52e450e60b87dc4feeb328b6.jpeg

This is what they look like. About 50mm high by 25mm wide (I'm guessing those numbers, but will be very close). How much do you think these are likely to deform by?

Mathematically I need 35mm packers under the stops to make contact before the wheel hits the guard. But that doesn't allow for squishing of the stop.

Heavy walled SHS comes in 25mmx25mm, so I'm thinking of stitch welding two bits of this together, one on top of the other. This would make a very strong spacer at 25mm x 50mm with a double gusset in the middle to strengthen it up. At 50mm, it would allow up to 15mm of squish which sounds about right to me?

Thoughts????

5 minutes ago, Kimjon said:

I think I've got it right after looking at this morning after a good nights sleep. I was super tired = brain stopped working...

The impala has 2" drop spindles, hence the reason it's having issues. Plus wider tyres aren't helping either.

I'm not sure on the amount of squish I should allow on the stop itself?

images.jpeg.04cfd26c52e450e60b87dc4feeb328b6.jpeg

This is what they look like. About 50mm high by 25mm wide (I'm guessing those numbers, but will be very close). How much do you think these are likely to deform by?

Mathematically I need 35mm packers under the stops to make contact before the wheel hits the guard. But that doesn't allow for squishing of the stop.

Heavy walled SHS comes in 25mmx25mm, so I'm thinking of stitch welding two bits of this together, one on top of the other. This would make a very strong spacer at 25mm x 50mm with a double gusset in the middle to strengthen it up. At 50mm, it would allow up to 15mm of squish which sounds about right to me?

Thoughts????

Seems like it will be close, and you can always add a few more mm with some flat bar if needed.  If this is mainly about bump travel on full lock, I would expect that doesn't happen when travelling at speed. Hitting the bump stops on a dip on the desert rd at 100kmh (for example) will load them up a lot more and they will likely deform further.

• Thanks 1

Terrible photo, but you get the idea.

20191024_171337.thumb.jpg.bd0fc4f94811d64292f57105b958f59a.jpg

The bump stop is  1" (25.4mm) wide, so some heavy walled SHS at 25mm x 25mm was doubled up and stitch welded together to give me a very strong 25mm x 50mm spacer block to fit under it.

I've drilled corresponding holes right through to match the bump stops and it should just bolt right in. I may upgrade the bolts to the next size up...ummm just because.