A Poor Mans Defender.... SIIA 109

nzstato

Loving the colour choice!

Figured if I was going to replace the damaged panel on mine I might as well remove it and have a tap on the workbench.
End cap was stuck on with the most impressive black goop i've encountered, not even paint stripper wanted to touch it, lots of gentle prying with a paint scraper got it off in the end.
Panel came out pretty good for a first time with Ali, not perfect, but far better than I expected! Just held on now with a few pop rivets until I can source the correct AN470 rivets.

IMG_9467.jpg.bbe757a4899335044f96341b1493f571.jpg

Thanks for the inspirational panel work!

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Loving the colour choice!

Figured if I was going to replace the damaged panel on mine I might as well remove it and have a tap on the workbench.
End cap was stuck on with the most impressive black goop i've encountered, not even paint stripper wanted to touch it, lots of gentle prying with a paint scraper got it off in the end.
Panel came out pretty good for a first time with Ali, not perfect, but far better than I expected! Just held on now with a few pop rivets until I can source the correct AN470 rivets.

IMG_9467.jpg.bbe757a4899335044f96341b1493f571.jpg

Thanks for the inspirational panel work!

Thats awesome.  I'd love to have the gear in the future to be able to make entire tub sides. 

I've previously bought those rivels from central 4wd in Qtown but if you want a bunch there must be somewhere else cheaper.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

@NickJ is a good dude like that. I'm sure his landie also left an oil puddle on your driveway as an extra gift :-)

As expected from any man well versed in the intricacies of British motoring engineering, I was asked to park on the street.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:

As expected from any man well versed in the intricacies of British motoring engineering, I was asked to park on the street.

And requested some tools for some minor LR fettling… :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sunbeam said:

I like the ratty bumper. Also dents suit these imo. Not to take away from your un denting skills though.

I'm in two minds of it... want it nice but not 'too nice', just the right bit of wrinkle

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

I was starting to wonder if you still had this… 285/70r16 is massive…. 235/75r16 I believe is as close to 7.50r16 as you can get, and still wider than the o.g. 

I did a typo here.... 285 is just silly... yes its 235

I did have it up for sale on a whim and one interested party, decided I was having a moment of sillyness and sticked with it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having a go at reupholstering the seats myself in a thick canvas, there are really no option for off the shelf of these deluxe seats if you dont want black.  These have been redone before and was able to salvage enough to get good patterns.  This was last nights attempt, needs some replacement foam before I give it a stretch over, but the right direction to make the next one better. 

T60.thumb.jpg.bf0850f18e0a06021b16e90c20647d70.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a F**k f**k/throwing spanners moment while working on this last night..... was cleaning up the governor housing on the inj pump and when re-tightening I must have had it a bit askew and I've gone and cracked the pump housing....

Decided to screw it and rather than going for my WOF and selling it, with this set back I'm going to pull all the front panels off and fix it all properly (I only blew over it in the green).  Hopefully I can somewhere find a housing to swap the internals over with.... failing that I could look for a 2.25 landrover diesel + box and put it back to original and toss the declaration papers. 

A few steps back to then go forward....

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...

I’m looking for some advice… so I’ve tracked down some deals on original running gear…. Have yet to see if I can get this injection pump fixed.  If I can it’s probably the similar price to reverting to original.

what should I do….?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...