A Poor Mans Defender.... SIIA 109

nzstato

Just now, NickJ said:

Thankfully everything on the inside is straight. I assume the capping is just held on by the rivets?

Good link! spent hours trying to find decent aluminium panel beating videos and only got modern car stuff, that channel looks epic, will sit down for a watch over the weekend.

Yep, drill them out

That guy is great, you can spend hours on his content (and it is all gold).  He has shrinking disc videos from years ago and you can buy them from his ebay store. I run on on a variable speed 9".  Just bought a small leather sandbag to try the other method with.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to have a go at reskinning all of the doors for a few reasons....

- The rear ones are dented and too far gone to repair

- I've been quoted ~$700 ea for reproduction doors ex UK

- It takes AGES to strip the paint off (and I tend to use alot of stripper) without overheating the alloy

- The skins themselves look easy enough to make - a roll and some folded edges, my pan brake is just big enough

- There is quite a bit of alloy corrosion on the lower sections (alot of LR doors do this)

- I have a super friendly alloy supply shop 5 min from my house who have 1200-H14 1.2 mm sheets in stock at (what I think) a very reasonable price.

Will report back....

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

It certainly has some history in these panels.  Everything is 'straight and 'solid' i.e. there are more tears in other places I need to fit but I'm happy to leave it as is.

I'm also now on the clock to finish this to some point (where that point is I don't know..) as with our house subdivision going on I will loose my shed.  If its not finished in time it would have to go into storage...

14 minutes ago, MACKAZ said:

Nice job man. Making panels from scratch is never easy. 

Thanks, I'm still getting more orders for the door skins I've been making.  Quite a number have asked if I was going to be making complete front guards from scratch.

• 2 months later...

Who knows about Smiths heaters? 

It has a good core/fan mounted in the truck and I think there is a good ducting body in the A35 I have in storage, cant find an exploded diagram anywhere though?

Its is possible to still buy the coil reinforced hose to pipe the heat?

1 minute ago, tortron said:

is it just a round one or the box type like from a mini?

I got some silver ducting from some random $1 store thing - FOR CARS! and it was near enough to work. So some aliexpressing would work.

Otherwise you can sew your own

Round one.   

Ok, I might try that. 

Also, where would be a good source for a heater tap? Just a single in/out manual one would be fine.

is it supposed to be on the block? A series have a cable operated one that goes on the back of the block, sidevalve has a screw type one that threads into a boss and was way more expensive till i found some random brass fittings that were identical on line.

dunno about inline ones, but id assume any brass tap will do the job tbh.

Theres not much to explode into a diagram in them. Ihave several in the shed if you wanna see one in bits

4 minutes ago, tortron said:

is it supposed to be on the block? A series have a cable operated one that goes on the back of the block, sidevalve has a screw type one that threads into a boss and was way more expensive till i found some random brass fittings that were identical on line.

dunno about inline ones, but id assume any brass tap will do the job tbh.

Theres not much to explode into a diagram in them. Ihave several in the shed if you wanna see one in bits

I think the original engine had it on the block, but this being a Nissan I'll have to make do with something.  You're right that a brass tap might just be the best idea, hopefully the existing hard fittings are NPT and I can screw it right in.

Got it, found a few pics online of what I need to know

Cheers

1 minute ago, Nominal said:

More likely BSP than NPT I would think.

I've got a temporary brass manual tap on my Minor at present but one day I'll put this one in (came with a NOS ADO16 heater kit I got years back)

20201214_124830.jpg

Choice

^ yep thats the same style one I had on the mk2 mini I sold.

• 2 months later...

Do you have any door skins in the "not quite right" pile that have the hip folded nice but not much else?

Decided to tear out the damaged section on mine and replace it, would save me much time if I could complement your bank acc instead :)

Raw panel size is 350w x 700h

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Do you have any door skins in the "not quite right" pile that have the hip folded nice but not much else?

Decided to tear out the damaged section on mine and replace it, would save me much time if I could complement your bank acc instead :)

Raw panel size is 350w x 700h

I do but the door handle is cut and in the wrong place... that going to work?