nzstato

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SOHC said:

Man the urge for me to get a landrover is getting stronger

Is that a come-along winch on the front?

Do it... place this came from had a paddock full of em

no idea, it’s got a ratchet at the back so basically same design you’d see on s boat trailer 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indiana_Jones said:

What other toys have they got? \link

Model A fords, late model falcons, S1 land rovers...

LR pricing seems two phased - either decent projects for a few k or stuff that has been barely tidied up for a WOF which is priced for moonbeams....

1 hour ago, KP_wag said:

So awesome, and loving the snorkel - you should swap the top for a copper downpipe elbow for max future patina. How does she handle highway speeds? 

That's an idea...

Like you'd expect, a twitchy brick.  But based on my experience from my previous one I know that can be improved.  Just committed to not taking a spanner to it until this mini is finished...

2 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Got spiders?

I doubt that a swap to a Toyota or Nissan chassis will fly as mod-prod. The example in the sheet you linked if for an in-brand swap.

See here for example

http://lvvta.proboards.com/thread/541/modified-scratch-built-chassis

Hmmm so that means I'm committed to a range rover chassis if I go down that path... with all the mechanical goodnesss

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Hmmm so that means I'm committed to a range rover chassis if I go down that path... with all the mechanical goodnesss

My next project is going to be a series 2 or 3 swb on a discovery chassis, discovery is 100" wheel base so will need to be cut down. I already have the discovery and the land rover 24 spline is plenty strong enough for the power it will have. 

Why do you want to go to a ifs chassis or will you change it to a solid axle?

1 hour ago, nzstato said:

Go fo Disco as a donor, like this one (not sure if its had the chassis swapped or just the running gear)

https://bringatrailer.com/2015/04/08/impressive-build-v8-swapped-1967-land-rover-109-series-2a/

559383CA-3E70-4805-9762-089546BFF85E.jpeg.703cae4efb56f4c4d261e7af4cbe3044.jpeg

35 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

My next project is going to be a series 2 or 3 swb on a discovery chassis, discovery is 100" wheel base so will need to be cut down. I already have the discovery and the land rover 24 spline is plenty strong enough for the power it will have. 

Why do you want to go to a ifs chassis or will you change it to a solid axle?

I have the “when a 4x4 is born’ DVDs where a guy does exactly this.

Would stay solid axle but wanted to get coils/disc brakes/power steer/modern power train in one hit rather than make up piecemeal 

Disco chassis is 100” wheelbase so would need to be lengthened 

Was trying to stay away from 200/300TDI as most stuff for sale is well worn and will need rebuilt.

thinking either rebuild the running gear I have in it now (if parts are even available) or complete engine/gearbox swap to something which has the output shafts in the corect orientation.

Options?

13 minutes ago, Evan said:

Go fo Disco as a donor, like this one (not sure if its had the chassis swapped or just the running gear)

https://bringatrailer.com/2015/04/08/impressive-build-v8-swapped-1967-land-rover-109-series-2a/

559383CA-3E70-4805-9762-089546BFF85E.jpeg.703cae4efb56f4c4d261e7af4cbe3044.jpeg

Thats still the original series chassis and diffs on leaf springs, it just has the engine and trans from a disco

4 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Thats still the original series chassis and diffs on leaf springs, it just has the engine and trans from a disco

I assumed they had swapped the mounts on the disco axles based on that article but maybe not?

I’m sure Himalaya had a write up on it that I read awhile ago but I can’t find it now.

Just now, Evan said:

I assumed they had swapped the mounts on the disco axles based on that article but maybe not?

I’m sure Himalaya had a write up on it that I read awhile ago but I can’t find it now.

The axles I have are essentially the early version of what ended up in the defender/disco.  It means a disc brake conversion can use existing LR parts.

• Like 1