Weber carby copies

8ball

Has anyone used/tried one of these weber copies from ebay before?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183730335652

are they any good or a pile of junk?

will genuine weber parts fit?

cant seem to find a good 2nd hand genuine one for a decent price (these are about the same price as a pile of crap 2nd hand carby).

Cheers.

Probably junk, but likley better than worn out old one? Worth disassembling and cleaning before use and swapping some unworn parts over from the original weber?

I would imagine they use weber copy jets. 

Try 'sherryberg' on aliexpress and cut out at least one middleman.

I think @sheepers put an equivalent hitachi or whatever copy in one of his crowns?

31 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I think I heard that you need to lock tite the butterfly grub screws in? 

Or maybe that was the "new" webers? 

Genuine Webers had a center punch in the brass screw to hold them in, if someone has 'serviced' them and not re-punched, they fall out real quick.

One review I read mentioned the carb ran like junk, all it needed was stripping down and cleaned of excess swarf.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 19:53, 8ball said:

cant seem to find a good 2nd hand genuine one for a decent price (these are about the same price as a pile of crap 2nd hand carby).

Cheers.

does it need to be electric choke ?

have a few here and have a enough bits to build a few good one if you wanna go down that path

There isnt a carby on the engine so hence looking around at what is available. So cant compare if jets etc would be interchangeable.

Yeah ive heard about alot of new carbies that require a strip and clean before use due to swarf. I guess quality control inspections wont catch everyone?

The main thing i was wondering is if they work well, once up and going. Such as no issues with transition from idle to WOT etc or if they flow the same as original or if even jetted the same etc. Ive even seen some carburetors where they have made the jets etc none changeable/removeable which is crap.

Elec choke isn't needed. I just used that link as an example.

Id actually prefer a manual choke set up.

Thamks for the offer Joe, but sadly the postage would be a killer, as im from Australia. 

the china re-manufactured  4M carbs i bought were alright, the base plate was out of flatness by about 0.15mm so they had a vacuum leak. once i fixed that (hylomar on the gasket) they worked mint.

still rolling on the coupe daily with no issues so far. 

• Like 1