Hillman Hunter ignition

hohocc

Way back in this thread:

There was mention of a Mitsi Lancer electronic distributor fitting a Billy Bunter/Minx engine, the words suggesting later Hunters had them from new, but no detail was forthcoming. A Nissan Bluebird CA20 dizzy was also mentioned but that sounded less bolt on-ish.

After extensive factfinding on wikipedia (yep that may be a contradiction) it would appear Lancers in NZ in the early 80s had a 4g32 up front. Is anybody out there able to fill in the gaps and confirm or deny if the 4g32 dizzy is Hunter compatible?

I've got a 72 Hunter and it's about time I got it roadworthy again, if there's an easy cheap bolt on alternative out there for the Lucas distributor I'm keen to find out about it. Japanese ignition from the 80s was clearly worlds apart from British 60s/70s. 

And assuming it's a goer, has anybody got a dead 4g32 they are parting out?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Have fitted what I guess is a French ducellier distributor from I think a Talbot which is the only one I know that is a direct replacement, don't know what other vehicles had them but I think Landrovers did and late Hillman/Chrysler I assume after Talbot tie up. Not Japanese but still not Lucas.

assuming its got the standard 25d4 lucas dizzy (like my old 73 had),  you  can buy off the shelf electronic conversions for the factory dizzy  as they are the same internally as every other mini blmc etc 25d4 dizzy, nice and easy swap to ditch the points 

• Like 1

classic car parts in hawea can supply a complete set up pretty cheap.

I recently got a electronic conversion kit, leads, triple electrode plugs and coil pretty damn cheap... check my build thread for the pic of what I got..

no point trying to retro fit something else if you can get off the shelf components.

• Like 2

Sounds like the 25d4 was used in about everything british in the 70s with 4 cylinders. There's talk on an oz mini forum of a couple of Nissan options which sound of interest: http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1498

As mentioned above I could just put some new points in (may even have a couple of sets laying around), or lose the points in the current distributor, or get a new reproduction that's electronic. Or find the French alternative which is one that came out of left field a bit, will do some googling on that.

Am still keen to find out about Japanese off the shelf (or more or less) bits that might do the job. Have had the car since new and the electric bits have always been fair to average at best, a few incremental improvements to ignition, starter and perhaps the alternator would go a long way in making it more usable. When I stopped using it as a daily about 9 years ago it had a bigger battery (550cca vs the original 300) and a water heater in the bottom radiator hose which made winters much more bearable. Really like the old thing but some improvement in practicality would be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, governorsam said:

thats the one im running as mentioned above.. simple as, off the shelf (click and wait for delivery) and works well.

no fucking round trying to retro fit another pile of shit into it, sorted

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks, lots of good options here. 

Turns out I've got a spare distributor so will be able to convert that with the Stealth kit and still have the original as a spare. Like the idea of the new accuspark but am trying to keep the spending on a shortish leash. 

Appreciate all the info provided, cheers.