G63b turbo and gbox

gto1973

Couple questions for the rwd mitsi guys,

Are the mounting points on a wide gearbox the same as a narrow? 

What to do about the output splines being different sizes? Can I just unbolt the back parts (gear stick part) on the box an swap them sorry I don't know the technical names for these parts 

Is a wide box stronger than a narrow?

Will the g63b turbo make 200hp with standard parts? ECi manifold

What is the redline for one of these motors?

Any help appreciated thanks,

Jesse 

Oh yea did you do the gearbox aswel? 

The output shaft on my  two boxes are different sizes so not sure what I'll  need to do there to hook into the driveshaft 

The car it's going into is cable anyway so that's an easy one for me 

Yes, I swapped the gearbox as well. I put a wide block turbo motor and box into a ute that was narrow block non turbo. 

The turbo motor and box was a hydraulic clutch where as the ute was cable.

Have you tried to fit the driveshaft to your turbo gearbox? Sometimes it can be a bit of an optical illusion, there is a good chance that you can dismantle the drive shaft cross and fit a turbo yoke onto your drive shaft. Failing that you'll need to get a custom driveshaft made up.

• Thanks 1

I had another gearbox which should be identical to the one in the car  I counted the splines the car one was 20 or 21 the starion was 24 and the gear lever was about 30mm out but should clear just though the tunnel hole.

I thought I seen somewhere that you can swap the tails of the gbox maybe I miss read it.

Yea I guess the next thing is to see if I can get hold of a yoke end that fits the gbox

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 19:46, gto1973 said:

Will the g63b turbo make 200hp with standard parts? ECi manifold

What is the redline for one of these motors?

Any help appreciated thanks,

Jesse 

Will probably need mpi and a modern turbocharger for 200hp. A NZ new 85.5 on Euro spec Starion was the last of them and has 177bhp (132kw) with intercooler and TC06 turbo and a 12 valve version has a claimed 200hp but they're too rare to find or modify, after that twin cam took over.

The usual Sigma/Cordia/Starion import engine will have 110kw, redline 6k. 

Oh yea I'm not sure what model it's out of. I know it has the tco6 turbo.

If I went to mpi would I then need to go to an aftermarket ecu ect? It's got an mpi manifold on it atm, I was gonna put the original one back on and run it standard at 10-12 psi boost

Yeah aftermarket ecu required for mpi.

I would put factory manifold back on (make sure injectors don't leak) fit an tc05 exhaust to the 06 front housing and boost it up until it won't let you go any higher, on mine around 14psi.

Then if further modifications are required go to mpi, vr4 pistons and modern turbo.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that's usually how it starts out until you get used to it. A tc05 exhaust housing will give you better response but at the expense of top end. I think the A/R is 0.49 for them. I had a TC06 on another engine with the standard exhaust housing (0.63 A/R IIRC), it wouldn't get on boost until 4000rpm. To be honest a lot of those older TC series turbos are pretty inefficient, even the td05-14B wasn't too good at higher levels of boost. I think either the small 16G or big 16G is the standard port of call, they give you a lot of leg room if you want to do something later.

It's going back a while but I think you only had to drill out the holes on the turbo exhaust housing to fit the old studs, grind away a bit of the exhaust housing so that the nuts could turn, and fit a new oil line. You will need a new down pipe as well I think.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...