Toyota 4Y sump options

Flash

Hi Team, I'm wanting to convert a Toyota 4Y from rear bowl sump to front bowl sump. Its a steel sump so relatively easy to modify if I have to, but thought I would check if there are any bolt on options before I break out my angle grinder and welder.

I can imagine modifying would be the way to go. The Y series engine wasn't really ever used in any vehicles in the USA so aftermarket bits are a right bastard to find.

Why are you going Y series? Hilux bits into something else?

3S-GE / 3S-FE engine supposedly has the same bellhousing pattern as Y series so you could possibly go that route for a better engine. They are front sump as far as I am aware

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

I can imagine modifying would be the way to go. The Y series engine wasn't really ever used in any vehicles in the USA so aftermarket bits are a right bastard to find.

Why are you going Y series? Hilux bits into something else?

3S-GE / 3S-FE engine supposedly has the same bellhousing pattern as Y series so you could possibly go that route for a better engine. They are front sump as far as I am aware

Thanks for the reply. I'm replacing a non crossflow engine in a very narrow engine box so unfortunately have to remain with a non cross flow single cam engine. Anything with crosssflow head setup will not fit in the space I have available.

1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

Would a 7K be suitable? They aren't as big/powerful as a 4Y but are built just as well.

I think you can still get both engines brand new from Toyota anyway.

What length limitations do you have?

7K is an option. Reason I'm leaning towards 4Y is that I've already got two of these motors lying around and I know that they bolt up to the Toyota 5 speed column shift gearbox that I'm planning to fit to the same vehicle. Lengtt wise I've only got about 500mm. 

13 hours ago, Ashkellybarr said:

I’ve got a 3Y motor sitting here if the pick up and sump are the same? Might be good parts to mess around with to save yours should I not work out??

Thanks for the offer. Will be in touch if needed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sleeektoy said:

Eyechrometer calibration complete...:blackeye:

It may be a mirror image :( but I'd say filling and drilling a few holes is easier than cutting and reversing a whole sump

2T gasket

20190906_060401.jpg.56cf567fa2ab319bac35742c50c37ddb.jpg

4Y gasket

20190906_060529.jpg.9aa85e6489b8d3630ab03acf0363e436.jpg

Thanks for the steer Sleek. It's definitely worth a bit of investigation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smokin'joe said:

will there be a difference with the donor vehicle ?

2wd ute v 4wd ute

van v car/wagon

This is exactly what I was hoping someone could help me with. My donor vehicle is a mid 80's Toyota HiAce van. Apart from the HiAce and Hilux models of that era the 4Y was also used extensively in Toyota forklifts with the model numbers using a 42 prefix. I discovered a youtube clip featuring the 4Y engine and on this clip the display engine sports a front bowl sump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_vZYNaksY

8 hours ago, Flash said:

This is exactly what I was hoping someone could help me with. My donor vehicle is a mid 80's Toyota HiAce van. Apart from the HiAce and Hilux models of that era the 4Y was also used extensively in Toyota forklifts with the model numbers using a 42 prefix. I discovered a youtube clip featuring the 4Y engine and on this clip the display engine sports a front bowl sump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY_vZYNaksY

YX60 ? series Cressida could worth investigation ?

i know the 2L diesel have different sumps for application into same range of vehicles