CIS/KJET Cologne V6 dies under load at 4k rpm.

kws

1 hour ago, Alfashark said:

Being a lazy bugger, I haven't checked your progress thread but when you pulled the pump/accumulator out, did everything go back exactly how it was to start with?   Possible you dislodged some crap and it went into the line post accumulator which could be starving supply at the metering head?

I removed the accumulator because it was stuffed, but that wouldnt cause running issues (maybe hot starting issues, but it starts fine). The lines seemed pretty clean and not much came out of the old filter when i drained it.

I have bypassed the emergency cutoff, so the fuel pump runs when the key is on.

I have noticed lately when the engine cuts out, if im not rolling it will take a few cranks to get it to fire up again.

• Like 1

My 5-pot Audi did very similar things once upon a time.  Since I had time to clean everything possible, just about all of the fuel and ignition side came out and was put back together after replacing only a few vacuum hoses that were well expired.

Between that and reseating all electrical connections and relays, the problem disappeared so I never had to chase it further.

5 minutes ago, 00quattro00 said:

Do not pull apart the warm up regulator or fuel distributor.

Ive heard this about the fuel distributor, due to tight tolerances, but there are some good guides and kits to rebuild the WUR. I would need to get a fuel pressure tester if i went down that route as my one doesnt work with KJet.

The plan now, is that I have a pressure testing kit on the way, along with new plenum gasket and injector O-rings. Im going to smoke test the intake, and fuel pressure test for main and control pressures. After that, the plenum will come off, and injectors out for flow testing and to check the pattern.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2019 at 17:19, kws said:

Right, so some super dodgy testing including a timing light and reversing up my busy street, I can confirm that when the engine cuts out it still has spark. The timing light still flashes as the revs drop.

Ad9kfve.jpg

Also tried another coil. Have just cleaned the KJET air flap disk thing, and throttle body. Neither made a difference, but the issue is getting much worse the more i run the car. I can't get to the end of the street now, and if I push on when it cuts out it pops and crackles from the exhaust. I suspect it may be lean?

Guess the next job is to remove the plenum and take the injectors out and see what their flow is like?

That may be a false positive, timing light is just indicating a spark, not quality or at the right time.

I do really like the setup though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

That may be a false positive, timing light is just indicating a spark, not quality or at the right time.

I do really like the setup though

I feel like with the way it dies, a spark is a spark. It cuts so hard I would expect at least a period of no spark, but the flashing doesn't miss a beat. 

I'm resisting the urge to Speeduino it. I have everything here for a full efi conversion, but I would rather learn and master the KJet system. I'm weird like that (aren't we all, on here?). 

I tried to read the plugs but haven't go far. The old plugs were jet black, and the new plugs still look almost new after a couple of blats around the block. I do know it's not fouling the plugs, so that's a start. 

I'm suspecting the fuel distributor may be sticking, but want to measure pressures before ripping it to bits. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

The engines I've seen that would rev out but not under load had fucked spark plugs. One set looked brand new. But they were dead. 

When I had this problem with the hilux it was just a fucked fuel pump. Wasn't building enough/any pressure. Could idle and free rev fine but as soon as you went to drive it it would run like a sack of shit.

On the Starlet when I first did the EFI conversion there was a faulty fuse holder for the fuel pump circuit (it actually managed to melt the fuse). This fault caused the pump relay to occasionally click off, causing instant loss of fuel pressure for like half a second at a time.

• Like 1

Just as a quick follow up. I have ordered a set of new injectors, and will be removing the fuel distributor to inspect/clean the plunger. I'll be setting it up properly from a zero setting after cleaning everything. Just waiting on parts/tools to arrive. I've noticed the AFM sensor plate is way out of setting (should be sitting a lot lower than it is) so either its sticking or its been setup incorrectly (50:50 on either). Chances are the system was running a bit average due to a lack of maintenance, so it was "tweaked" to compensate and now its all out of whack, seems pretty common for people taking on projects with KJet.

• Like 3