Any rules around bonnet pins?

EpochNZ

I've finally had enough of struggling with the bonnet release mechanism on the Saab and I'm thinking of removing it and replacing it with bonnet pins.

Now I dont want to get into a philosophical debate about how ugly they are or awkward etc but I'm interested to know what the rules are around them?

For example, if I have the pins do I still need a secondary catch on the bonnet as well (which the Saab still has)?  Or can they just be used as the only mechanical system for holding the front of the hood down?

(Theoretically it isn't as much of a deal on the Saab anyway as the bonnet lifts forward so cant obscure vision if it lets go at speed).

All help appreciated.

4 hours ago, Bling said:

Is stock release a bad design or just seized up?

Ken for a dickpunch 

Seized and temperamental......Its a fight I dont really want to keep on having.

Also because of European madness the release is on the passenger side.

If you don't mind the look of pins, go nuts. Personally i'd do everything I could to recondition what I had to avoid having them. Especially on a car like yours, original = winning. But different strokes etc. Perhaps you could have the mechanism blasted / dipped and anodized? Would link Snoozin's KP as I think he got similar things done, but pics are goneburger.

• Like 5