Rust Worm

dabuzz

Any tips on removing rust worm properly?

Roof of car has a number of spots with worm in it, have used orbital scotch disc on some of the areas so it looks shiny then hit with Brunox

But I really want to know if there is more I can do, don t really want it coming back tracking again in the future

Paging @Spencer

I put a lot of effort into this on the roof of my wagon, including sanding, wire brushing, metal prep (phosphoric acid) and undiluted hydrochloric acid (concrete etch type) multiple times. Still had some black spots/pits after all that so I just etch primed it and carried on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nominal said:

Paging @Spencer

I put a lot of effort into this on the roof of my wagon, including sanding, wire brushing, metal prep (phosphoric acid) and undiluted hydrochloric acid (concrete etch type) multiple times. Still had some black spots/pits after all that so I just etch primed it and carried on.

Had the same with the roof of the zephyr. Multiple passes with phosphoric acid/scotch bright/prepsol and had pitting.. Was black from the acid so I made sure it was very dry and epoxied it... Hasn't come back yet. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 13:39, yetchh said:

Had the same with the roof of the zephyr. Multiple passes with phosphoric acid/scotch bright/prepsol and had pitting.. Was black from the acid so I made sure it was very dry and epoxied it... Hasn't come back yet. 

This is the method, phosphoric acid and scotch brite, then epoxy. Don’t use single stage rust treatment paints they don’t have very good adhesion compared to acid wash then 2 part epoxy primer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spencer said:

This is the method, phosphoric acid and scotch brite, then epoxy. Don’t use single stage rust treatment paints they don’t have very good adhesion compared to acid wash then 2 part epoxy primer.

Learnt from the best..