Anglia4's Austin 7 Ruby

anglia4

Oh I’ll get it open lol having the opening front windscreen is mandatory.

yup it will get painted. I’m thinking 2-tone blue or blue/black. Inspired by one I sat in in Nelson a while back.

I’d quite like to do light blue body and dark blue guards with light blue interior, dark blue accents/piping etc

9071824D-9C23-4962-B2F1-6517EE7601D1.jpeg

• Like 6

Remember all the contaminates in the oil have probably settled at the bottom.  May want to remove the sump & clean it (pretty sure you can on those engines?)
I thought the oil in an engine looked great, but it was acidic, so acidic i found the big-end bearings in the bottom.  Dissolved to a fine powder.

• Like 2

If you do some research you will find thatbthe Cadillac type 53 was actually the first car to have conventional controlls in 1916.

Also worth noting is prior to that's many cars used the same pedals but with the accelerator between the clutch and brake pedal. 

Additional Barry fact: the center throttle layout was mainly due to a lack of space between the brake pedal and side of the body. Many left hook variants of the American cars we saw here in the 10s and 20s were conventional layout (clutch-brake-throttle).

Also be careful if you have to hone or bore the engine. I think these the deck surface is off square to the bores by 7 degrees. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its the 7 they did some sillyness on. 

• Like 2

Hi Jeff, that little spanner is for old bikes, the smallest jaws fit the square headed bolts that hold the chain ring onto the crank.

Vaguely related sharn: We had a motor grader at work that had the accelerator pedal to the left of the brake it was made in 1978. The lay out made for some excitement when I learned to drive it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I only happened across your thread this morning. I must say that despite the fact I'd rather have a bad case of herpes than an English car,  theres something strangely satisfying about reading your progress to date. 

Jolly good show chap, keep up the good work.

Also, this is screaming out for a repower with something that will make it shred tyres. Monster Bridgeport would be appropriately rowdy I think.

Cheers guys.

the Austin 7 forum guys all seem to put a thin smear of grease on the gasket.

im really keen to keep this one quite original. But if I ever happened to get a second... it will likely get a 750cc+ motorbike engine for sequential gearbox tyre shredding funtimes

• Like 4