Yamaha YSR "The Pole Smoker"

Duke Blackwood

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

So I’ve been busy beavering away quietly on the pole smoker... I’ll save the progress report until I have a decent photo, but the shifter shaft is still the most pressing issue. I had to straighten it to remove it and found it was also bent IN the engine itself. I stripped my spare engine only to find it has a huge groove right on the oil seal surface of the shifter shaft. I enquired with a mate about metal spraying it and machining it back but even at mates rates it’s $120 clams... the bike still only owes me like a Hundy. Anyone have a TS185 wrecking? Or know if the mud bug shifters were compatible? Once this is sorted I’ll need to do the seal, reassemble, and get new sprockets. I will make last years sprocket into a medal and wear it with pride.

435FB7D6-BDE8-4D47-B7C1-8B1307009982.jpeg

31D1110D-8817-4D00-80B5-30CEE5AAEEDA.jpeg

5DEC65CC-6BBA-4337-97C2-25CDDD7799E7.jpeg

Im not at all worried about destroying the shaft; it’s fucked. I DONT want it to fail during this years Te Urewera Ride haha. If I was just putting it back on the road I would TIG it but knowing what I’ll be subjecting it too... I don’t want it to be next years week link as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Lads I have tigg’d the shaft and tomorrow night will machine flush, last night I pulled the seal to source a replacement and found this....

(Image of aluminium, hanging like sleeve of wizard, I don’t know how to implant images)

The shaft has elliptical-ised the hole which will presumably be detrimental to future seal life. 

what are my options?

Bore out hole and press in sleeve? Not easy. Would have to be dead straight and no doubt will get Swarf in motor.

machine a washer to sit in the seal groove behind the seal, centralising shaft, floating in the stretched ali? Dead easy, but will ultimately cut through the shaft because  of the thin surface area.

press a sealed bearing into the seal groove and run with no external dust seal? Is that even a thing? Could that work?

this hurdle is the only thing between me and powdercoated re-assembly... there are other bits to do (I wanna try Blizzos LEGO welding trick) but when I get a seal I’ll be back on the road!

985FC25A-6330-40CF-8818-6FFDA236A20E.jpeg

I hadn’t considered that... If I could be fucked splitting the cases I could Ali weld it and then redrill it, but a gasket set is probably worth more than another engine and only a shade less than another bike haha total bike cost still under $200!

And I’m also reluctant to plug and drill it for fear of not nailing the alignment...

But i could do a combination...

1. Washer in seal groove

2. JB weld hole edge

3. Drill JB using centralising washer as guide

4. Sealed bearing on top of centralising washer

5. Celebratory burnout?

I have just given the triple trees the quick polish they missed before last ride too

• Like 2

52B4BB49-176F-4A84-BE11-FE4C6D50FA02.jpeg

This image also features:

A crate of speights 

A copper home-brew setup

A sword

A Cordia bonnet scoop (Destined for a MK5 Cortina, when I get one)

A wall mounted CBR250 tank and exhaust

An old dutchman’s Chopping axe

And toolbox racing stripes

Edited by Duke Blackwood
Realised it was funny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So last night I attempted reassembly with the repaired shaft and seal/bush combo but I just could not get the side cover back on; something wasn’t right. Turns out the shaft I repaired was from my spare engine, not the one that came out of this engine, and it has a boss on the backside of the shifter return spring that was a ducks doodle longer than the original. At this stage the clutch basket and everything was reassembled and it’s one of those STUPID pricks with little hard pins that you slip under trampoline springs while trying not to stab bucket Barry with a pair of long nose pliers while palpable tension rises in the shed and no one will smile for fear of chipped teeth when the pins fly out.... 

So yeah we weren’t taking it apart again to machine the boss off in the lathe. We found out what it was binding on. There was an ali tang, protruding from the cover, to meet the shaft at the back and negate end float. This tang was an afront. As I loaded the meat axe blade into the grinder, bucket Barry produced a mean right angle dremel cutting tool which did a really tidy job of shortening the tang.

Side covers on, press in bush and seal, done. Then bucket Barry pipes up.

”That seal went in tooo easy and I think it isn’t deep enough, I don’t think it will seal. Pull it all apart and we’ll machine some depth off your bush.....”

Well we aren’t doing that. I’m gonna replace the seal with one the same; but I’m gonna put it in covered in liquid nails. Better living everyone.

6FCF829B-F991-48B4-A3DD-161CFC70FA60.jpeg

BE26196F-ED21-4C14-BD93-FF846B80FFB6.jpeg

4C88357E-1F50-4E2F-A24C-30C5D27D53D8.jpeg

B65E92C5-1FA1-46A4-AD92-69199C79ED78.jpeg

404C22DA-2D9B-43AB-BDB2-E7AC7A1A3169.jpeg

AEEB249B-510A-4E58-A810-8FC9FA815B84.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

shed night last night = begin general re-assembly. It’s slower than stripping the bike. Applying never-seize. Applying loctite. Taking care no to scratch my new powdercoated frame! I am enjoying the process though, I don’t think I’ve ever put anything back together like this? Typically when I’ve stripped stuff.... it was terminal. 

Got the swing arm mounted and the forks. The polished triple clamps look grouse but my castaway style improvised steering head bearing setup and the need to shim around the forks where the triple clamps bite, made it particularly slow going. On last years ride I punched the forks up through my homemade clamps fording a stream at speed and I’m hoping to avoid that experience in future. I also ordered some tyres this week from our main man @MopedNZ and I’m super excited to receive them (Despite bucket Barry routinely advising me that They’ll make a bike which is already difficult to ride, MORE difficuilt-er).

7D7BE915-85F5-4B09-B49E-9877F4A66050.jpeg

F1E34A13-E278-4FF5-B2DF-8591C6FD322B.jpeg

006A8D95-E27A-4334-80A9-8545EC8496C6.jpeg

B670FEFD-BDF6-46EF-8621-D0EA7D882B80.jpeg

Edited by Duke Blackwood
Fucking autocorrect
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...