Yamaha YSR "The Pole Smoker"

Duke Blackwood

Just went for its maiden voyage around the block and the rose tinted glasses have come off... holy shit. It will be an extraordinary achievement for man and machine if I can complete Te Urewera Undertaking on the ysr. It is comically unstable at all speeds. The brakes are surprisingly doughey for such a light bike. It swaps back and forth between unstoppable wheelie machine and bog monster. Unpredictably. And I found myself adopting the leg drag moto-x style even on the seal. And I saw a cop (haven’t installed my plate yet). 

Essentially, the absurdity has bolstered my confidence, and I can’t wait for this trip haha. I thought I was going to have quite a quick straight line bike compared to the scooters, but I’m beginning to think I may be the underdog, and the only way I’m gonna keep up is to ride the wheels off it. I will be a permanent roost. By the end of next weekend I’ll be a demon on this thing. 

But as a precaution, I’m gonna make some big ass crash bungs....

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

As for engine mounts; my TS185 engine is still in the ts185 front subframe, cut below the neck and bolted through to my down tube. The upper rear is made from angle iron and the lower rear is waterjet cut (which could easily be made with flat bar). I recommend welding a doubler plate on the main upper frame horizontals and putting a triangular gusset in the frame window under your thighs. My YSR had been running with that engine mounted (poorly) already when I bought it and the frame was one wheelie away from being two half frames...

The factory top triple clamp is only decorative too; it’s just there to mount the handle bars... I think it’s 1.6mm thick? So keep an eye on that... I’ve got CAD files for my triple clamps which you’re welcome to, but they’d be expensive to commission without some engineering contacts.