Benno

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/04/2020 at 18:12, yetchh said:

How far did you strip it back? Got any pics? 

Mostly to bare metal. Didn't get any pics of it just before paint unfortunately, here is about 90% stripped.

IMG_20200111_193315.jpg

• Like 2

Mostly strip disc on the grinder. Used a wire brush attachment for the grinder and drill to get some of the bits round the seams. Manual sanding with 80 grit for the rest.

No worries mate, I'll probably have heaps of questions when it comes to reassembling it!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, moparmuppet said:

Looking good. What is the brand of epoxy primer you are brushing on? Looks plenty fine for underneath and no messy overspray is a win. Thanks.Vaughan

Thanks. I am using PPG Epotec 408 primer

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mk3 said:

What did you find out about belts on b pillar?

I'm about to take my mk3 for Revin and am worried about my belt mounts requiring cert.

Nothing concrete. I put a post on facebook and several others also had the bolt though the piller. I think it must have been an NZDM thing, hence it didn't make it into the workshop manuals.

Let me know how you get on please.

47 minutes ago, Benno said:

Nothing concrete. I put a post on facebook and several others also had the bolt though the piller. I think it must have been an NZDM thing, hence it didn't make it into the workshop manuals.

Let me know how you get on please.

The bolt through the pillar is fairly common for the era. Shouldn't be a problem on a vehicle that is otherwise stock.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Late to the party here re seat belts, I've had three Mk3's and they've all had different seat belt mountings. One was bolted through the pillar and two just had a 'captive' nut with a large washer inside the pillar that the belts were mounted too. Both methods were fairly common as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2019 at 20:15, Benno said:

In more exciting news, I've got my hands on some triple carbs for it. Not sure what the condition of the SU's is like, but externally they look all good. 

IMG_20191210_192732.jpg.920ef853621d8eafc178c2d6e164b257.jpg

Hey @Benno what did you pay for those SU's? These triple zeniths have come up on the tard that I'm fairly keen on picking up. They're fairly pricey but then again they never come up. 

Screenshot_20210821_103344.thumb.jpg.0b072b5621c7b7d071e638c0ca896310.jpg

Talked to zep (galeforce zephyrs) a while back and he reckoned the triple zeniths had more initial punch than su's but its a struggle to get an air filter to fit under the bonnet.. 

2 hours ago, yetchh said:

Hey @Benno what did you pay for those SU's? These triple zeniths have come up on the tard that I'm fairly keen on picking up. They're fairly pricey but then again they never come up. 

Screenshot_20210821_103344.thumb.jpg.0b072b5621c7b7d071e638c0ca896310.jpg

Talked to zep (galeforce zephyrs) a while back and he reckoned the triple zeniths had more initial punch than su's but its a struggle to get an air filter to fit under the bonnet.. 

I paid $350 for them, manifold is homemade but should do the trick. I saw those, wee bit pricey but they're the first setup like that I have seen  up for sale so probably worth it.

A mate of mines dad said he went from twin zodiac zeniths to triple SUs back in the day and preferred the SUs.

• Like 3

Yeah there's the other triple on there that's homemade but it finishes before the other one so there's no back up haha.. 

I find there seems to be a distinct lack of information regarding the zephyr 6 engine, especially since gale force went under. I want to do some porting and upgrade pistons/valve train but there is zero information.. 

• Like 1