1987 Toyota hiace superglow glow plug questions....

yoeddynz

Pardon the Russian but ™®¢¥¿^¬`;\|¦¶§×  I can't find any really good explanation on how this system works and how best to test it. 

Our old hiace (87 lh series 4wd with the mighty 2L engine)  we bought it in 2010 has always needed the glowplugs to kept on for longer then the glowplug (from now on GP) light stays on. We wait till we hear the first relay click, about 10 secs. It would then always start fine. How've more recently it wouldn't. The relay would would clock earlier, we'd try to start it but no good. So we leave it longer before starting. Now the second click @ about 1 minute! In order to see/read what's going on I had fitted a volt meter to the dash. 

At the first click it goes from around 8-9 to about 10-11 volts. The second click coincides with it going back up in voltage. However I'm worried that leaving it for that long with out would be burning out the glowplugs. 

I'd checked all the connections. Battery is pretty tired so will be replaced. We've never fitted new GPs so bought and fitted a set a couple of days ago. 

It's still hard stater. We will put a new battery in this week but for now have to use the jumper pack. I don't want to fuck the new GPs. 

I can't find any solid info on how the setup works. It's all a bit conflicting and even the Gregory's manual we have tells me fuck all. Alot of the info or there on superglow is based around landcruisers etc. 

There are many links in the chain. 

A timer control,

A relay, 

Another relay, 

A current sensor, 

A gp resistor, 

A temp sensor, 

The GPs. 

Can anyone here please shed some light on how it all works and what in their experience usually fucks out. 

Has anyone got some proper wiring diagrams that show how the system works? Access to Toyota workshop manuals on the system? 

Cheers. 

Alex

Ahhhhh. Just had battery tested and it's well and truly fucked. Plus apparently way too small for the job, in winter. 

I'll check the spare regulator we have as the one fitted is over charging, swap it out and get a new proper dopper battery then see what happens. 

My HJ60 ‘85 Landcruiser had a version of super glow. Some of them even used 6v glow plugs etc. Timer died and the old batteries only survived 2 mornings of constantly cranking to get it to start. Great white smoke chooching into black though. 

@mo999 bypassed the timer and just fitted a push button which I’d hold for a few seconds to start. 

1 hour ago, kyteler said:

What battery were you using, you cheapskate hippy? 

I'd guess you should have a HD minimum 600CCA, probably 700+CCA 

It currently has a 520ccc.  Not manly enough and 4 years of abuse plus cooking it with a shit regulator had dealt to it. 

15 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Oh I like the idea of a push button. Cut all the crap out!!!! 

@mo999

any schematics of what you did? Just a simple as grunty current handling relay? Or a bit more involved? 

HI Alex, 

All I did was locate the existing glow-plug relay (follow the glow-plug wiring back) and just added a trigger wire to the a-fore mentioned push button.

In this case that already existed - I suspect someone had the idea before!

You can also get aftermarket glow timers that have such fancy features as after start glow as well, but a simple push button will do the job most times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

Oh I like the idea of a push button. Cut all the crap out!!!! 

Do you also fit mixture adjust knobs to your carburetor cars so you can adjust the mixture while driving?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllTorque said:

1990 Hiace Glow Circuit.

670210FC-78E9-46D3-A9C4-6D60932574DC.thumb.jpeg.2dc9cb0fa0b73152bbe3a3192bd724f9.jpeg

Oh you are such a star! Hugs from me :-)

False edit. That is for a 1990. Later model to our old thing. I am not sure if they have the same setup?

False edit #2 - wow its a much simpler circuit then the one our van has.

Yeah all good. I bought a new grunty battery this afternoon and took all the charging circuit apart. Had been completly altered about by pervious owner.  New wires everywhere, all the wrong colours, missing plugs, extra plugs. Got to sort that shit out before I even look over the gp system. 

Oh the joys.... 

• Like 1