1/24 kitset models

Anythingclassic

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about weathering planes.

I've seen plane modellers paint all the panel gaps black before the top coat to deepen them but given how much history it's got that might not be possible.

Youtube is your friend.

I wasn't going to do any models for a bit but I've started another one. I'm hopeless.

• Like 2

Comes down to where and how they were operated... The Tonkas and Jags got a quick smearing of Desert Pink and then got throw into the desert at Mach fuck, down in the weeds with a lot of grit in the air so they got sandblasted on all the leading edges/pointy bits. 

Some of the chaps over your way use a Pledge furniture polish sealant, watered down with thinners and wash the whole thing with it which can bring out panel lines with just the right amount of depth.

• Like 1

I'd never realised how political model building is.

There's so many "right" and "wrong" ways of doing things. I started a bit of a row on the model forum with the amount of weathering & rust on my Bergepanther. They'll shit themselves when they see the next one.

There's also some big thing about "modulation" of paint colour on panels. So a bit darker at the edges where angles meet. It's too bloody complicated for me and they all seem to get their knickers in a twist about how much/little/right/wrong it is.

I can see a rage quit happening on there although they are very nice.

Stupid models.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

At least the goons from the IPMS branch I was in - And it was a small branch, no more than about 10 of us - Were fucking brilliant at doing their own thing and realising that not everyone could or would go that deep down the detail hole.

One of them, just to try it out, masked and painted every individual panel on a 1/72 model to get something like the effect of polished aluminium. Took him forever and while it did look impressive, he reckoned he'd never do it again just to get that 99% right look that some other cunt (likely from one of the forums you've mentioned) to still pick holes in it.

• Sad 1

I almost offered one bloke "some form of physical altercation" ( copyright @dane ) when he started going on about something but everyone else told him to stop it so it was fine.

They're almost as bad as the " Oh, I wish I was as good as you" type comments which are just impossible to answer without sounding patronising. Just practice and copy the things you like.

Idiots.

If I jack the model forum in it'll just be you monkeys that I internet with.

*sigh*

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Kit bashing.  That usually upsets them - Finding leftover bits/spares/variant components from a kit and butchering an already fucked build just for the hell of it. That winds them right up and the actual build is quite fun and you're not really restricted to doing anything remotely right.

Once I dig out my kit crates and find my tools, that's what I'll be doing.

• Like 6

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, CarolsHusband said:

@Lord Gruntfuttock, @Indiana_Jones & @igor.

This is where I dumped my 1/35 gluey fingered clumsiness. Not 1/24 but TBH the thread was dead on its arse anyway and still is by the looks of it.

Cheers mate, some great work in here.

I'll no doubt pick your brains, as well as others later on. Keen to give weathering a go on this Sturmgeschütz, having never done it before. 

On that note, how does one achieve the beaten panel look? especially on the front covers of the tracks. Assuming it's a case of heating up the panel and bending it? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Indiana_Jones said:

Cheers mate, some great work in here.

I'll no doubt pick your brains, as well as others later on. Keen to give weathering a go on this Sturmgeschütz, having never done it before. 

On that note, how does one achieve the beaten panel look? especially on the front covers of the tracks. Assuming it's a case of heating up the panel and bending it? 

Heat's a bit risky, unless you have a controllable source. Hair dryer to soften it up a bit ? Candles usually end in melted plastic which looks nothing like bent armour.

Also, removing a bit of the thickness will ease shaping. There is a lot of photoetched parts available to replace stuff like guards & the skirts along the side. Plastic can't really be molded thin enough.

It's a bottomless pit. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

@Indiana_Jones how much did you score the tamiya spray setup for? I'm keen on one, not just for models but also little jobs in workshop. I figure there's possibly clones available on aliexpress but not yet looked. 

I got mine for $125 from trademe (secondhand), I think they're around $230ish new, but don't come with an AC adaptor (fucking stupid imo), closer to $300 with them from what I can see (local suppliers).

Here's one for sale at the moment:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/toys-models/models/tools-supplies/listing/4336839387

• Like 2

• 1 month later...