1/24 kitset models

Anythingclassic

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CarolsHusband said:

Plodding continues on the Armoured Recovery vehicle. No modelling time and I'm not feeling it like the HST but will hopefully get painting tomorrow & it'll all be better.

Fancy doing the wheels for me, @Indiana_Jones ?

/shit pics

How about nooooo.

/looks like you're doing a smashing job, don't need a scrub like me getting in the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/02/2024 at 19:06, kiwi808 said:

A heap of those Bren gun carriers ended up as farm hacks down my ways. #sharn

Here is part of my current pile of shame.

IMG_2779.thumb.jpeg.7a0243b262c6c2f9d18f43e4f1cf7129.jpeg

I might dig out that LRDG truck and have a look…

That's mighty impressive. Well done you. I'm going to have to up my game.

• Like 3

Nearly done with the wheels for the stug, just need to find that last bit of motivation.

As we're nearing the end of construction on her, what is the best practice to weathering? does one finish the paint and then do a gloss coat and then do decals? followed up by weathering and then a sealing coat in matt gloss? 

Cheers

• Like 2

Isnt it something stupid like gloss coat, decals (better base for them to snuggle down on), then matt varnish, weathering then another dose of matt?

All sounds a bit convoluted.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/03/2024 at 06:59, Indiana_Jones said:

Nearly done with the wheels for the stug, just need to find that last bit of motivation.

As we're nearing the end of construction on her, what is the best practice to weathering? does one finish the paint and then do a gloss coat and then do decals? followed up by weathering and then a sealing coat in matt gloss? 

Cheers

On 25/03/2024 at 08:06, EpochNZ said:

Isnt it something stupid like gloss coat, decals (better base for them to snuggle down on), then matt varnish, weathering then another dose of matt?

All sounds a bit convoluted.....

That does seem to be the 'correct' way to do it, but I've never had a decal fall off a matt painted finish yet. It all sounds a bit "Emperors new clothes" to me.

Surely you'd start losing detail lumping all that paint on. Is there not something called decal fix or similar ?

You could always get masks for the markings & airbrush them on....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Others that I know seem to be a 50/50 split between paint/clear/decal/clear and paint/decal/clear.

Your mileage may vary, but 20 years from now you may find the decals lifting/flaking if they don't have that thin waft of clear over the top.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Others that I know seem to be a 50/50 split between paint/clear/decal/clear and paint/decal/clear.

Your mileage may vary, but 20 years from now you may find the decals lifting/flaking if they don't have that thin waft of clear over the top.

Oh yeah, I do intend to 'seal' it all with a clear coat, but just wanted to check if any were needed prior to decaling and weathering etc. Going by what i have seen online, it sounds like the idea of the clear coat is to lock it all in place and protect it down the line etc. 

• Like 2

Yep. I know a lot of folks airbrush using gloss paints and seal everything in with a coat of matte clear too.

There's also a huge range of decal softening solutions available too that let them really conform to panel lines or details without tenting or tearing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kiwi808 said:

I’ve just started building USS Voyager. It’s not 1/24th scale but I’ll punch you all with my terrible slow progress anyway.

You’ve been warned!

I think the 1/24 scale aspect of this thread went away a long time ago lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...