• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As mentioned last night, I was all fizzed up to get on with something... Boxes are buried somewhere in the garage and that's a bridge too far for me in my current state.

What I do have somewhere out there though, is a 1/72 possibly Matchbox H.P Victor K2 with a bad history - I picked it up in a 90% complete state years ago from a mates old man and he'd cocked it up rather badly. I rescued it and spent a lot of time slowly wet sanding the horrific paint job off and re-scribing a lot of panel lines and recommended he blow it over with an airbrush in Hemp for the upper surfaces and RAF Light Aircraft Gray on the underside which would bring it to represent one of the Victor tankers in the Gulf War.

A year later I saw the "finished" result where he'd attacked it with RAF Dark Green/Medium Sea Gray camo by brush, someone had knocked it off its shelf and a wing was broken off, the fin had collapsed and the undercarriage was MIA so I swapped him a box of beer to permanently rescue it.

Pics to follow, but I've yet to start that restoration.

• Like 4

Ahh! You've definitely got your eye in then. I never did a lot with that Badger, because it was a lot of shagging about compared to opening the tins of Humbrol's finest and getting work with the brush.

Your weathering is outstanding - Miles above my ability/patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The messing about/ tidying up thing is what puts me off too. I used to use a Badger with inks but that was easy enough to clean out. 

Enamels or acrylics is another matter, it's too easy to ruin an airbrush by being slapdash.

And slapdash is my middle name.

* It's actually Martin.

• Like 2

Had to do a bit of digging, but I found the old duck... Missing a refueling pod from the starboard wing, and the centerline unit is missing as well - No doubt in a box somewhere.  The thing that passes me off most about the whole saga is the time I spent masking off the cockpit glazing and it appears he removed this and had a half arsed attempt at doing it himself and then hit it with the Dark Green again.

Screenshot_20220422-151601_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1dc348d1480671b6ec10329fca792dee.jpgScreenshot_20220422-151540_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fbb1008bace9d34ace9bc35731617f05.jpg

• Like 3

If I can find the pod, and that fucking awful camo can be removed without rooting the panels, I'll hit with a coat of Hemp (Tamiya XF57, or Humbrol 168 for those playing along at home).

If the panels don't clean up well, it'll get a dose of Desert Pink and can represent Teasin' Tina which is on display at Bruntingthorp - No one is quite sure why it was painted in D.P as it's quite a different colour to Hemp but presumably someone thought that since the Tornados, Jaguars and Buccaneers wore it while giving Saddam a good tickling, the tankers keeping them fed must have worn it too.

For reference, Hemp:

hp80victork2_raf_xl231_08_yorkshireairmuseum2013.jpg.75c53a893b0b8440e9b4ff5fccef0319.jpg

And Desert Pink:

colin_collis11smaller.png.dab53fc15ca76b88efe4915f5521b97f.png

• Like 8