1/24 kitset models

Anythingclassic

22 minutes ago, kyteler said:

I have a few in the cupboard that I could have a crack at but I struggle for enthusiasm to do such things nowadays.  I'll assume the enthusiasm returns when you get a bit older.

You are a sarcastic twat KY. Give it a go, you might be older than you think, Old man.

Joking aside, it is a bit geeky but when you get started it is worthwhile. Even if it's just 30 mins here and there.

All you gotta do is close the box lid when you've had enough.

I only started because I found my 70's  Tamiya catalogues clearing out my crap from my Dads place. 

Got inspired, got stuck in, glad I did.

/ living the dream.

// TOTP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/08/2019 at 09:32, yoeddynz said:

Anyone here into building 1/24 trucks? 

I've been scratch building a tnl freighting merc skip truck. Probably the oddest truck to want to build but it just appealed to me about 27+ years ago when when I started on it. As a youngling I'd even ridden my pushy many times to the tnl yard in Blenheim and taken photos and measurements of it. It's based on an italeri kit that I have had to shorten the cab on in 3ways. Chassis cut down and converted to 2axles. Scratch built air system, underpinnings etc. 

I've not touched it in two decades and had a long way to finish. I'll get some photos if interested. 

Looking forward to quiet modelling times during a storm in a cabin with cups of tea one day :-)

Hey Alex, you've had long enough to find it. 

/pics.

Kind of got two truck builds in my head, a 70's Kenworth W900 as a prezzie for a mate and the Holy Grail, a needle nose Peterbilt & tanker conversion a la "Duel".

Proper PITA job but could be fun.

• Like 5

Pity they automated the lighthouses, the keepers were always portrayed detailing their ships in bottles while the storms raged outside (before they ruined it all by rushing outside to rescue some damsel in distress :badgrin:).

Back in the 70s I built a lot of kits, before I started playing with full size cars.  With my two brothers, we built a '40 Ford Coupe with a rumble seat (from a kit called Flower Power), and a custom Model T truck, as well as a dune buggy and a Chevy Nomad and a 57 Impala, and a '60s dragster station wagon (a Plymouth iirc).  Also built a Ford F150, an AMC Gremlin, and a whole lot of sports cars including a Mazda RX7 and Porsche and Ligier Le Mans racers.

Built a White Road Boss with a fuel tanker (iirc), and a GMC (Actros?) cabover with a furniture trailer.

The only scratchbuild I ever did was when I was at high school, converted a Mk2 Capri into an OSCA race car (sort of a non-spaceframe PDL Mustang 2 clone), with handmade box flares and a rollcage made from pieces of the plastic parts frames, and the V8 from an AMT custom Ford Econoline van.  I made a trailer from more offcuts of the parts frames, and spare wheels from other kits.  The V6 from the Capri went in the Econoline, that would have made a terrible real-life tow wagon. :grin:

Must ask my mum what happened to them after I left home and she moved house.  Probably got some photos buried in a box in the spare room.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

Pity they automated the lighthouses, the keepers were always portrayed detailing their ships in bottles while the storms raged outside (before they ruined it all by rushing outside to rescue some damsel in distress :badgrin:).

Back in the 70s I built a lot of kits, before I started playing with full size cars.  With my two brothers, we built a '40 Ford Coupe with a rumble seat (from a kit called Flower Power), and a custom Model T truck, as well as a dune buggy and a Chevy Nomad and a 57 Impala, and a '60s dragster station wagon (a Plymouth iirc).  Also built a Ford F150, an AMC Gremlin, and a whole lot of sports cars including a Mazda RX7 and Porsche and Ligier Le Mans racers.

Built a White Road Boss with a fuel tanker (iirc), and a GMC (Actros?) cabover with a furniture trailer.

The only scratchbuild I ever did was when I was at high school, converted a Mk2 Capri into an OSCA race car (sort of a non-spaceframe PDL Mustang 2 clone), with handmade box flares and a rollcage made from pieces of the plastic parts frames, and the V8 from an AMT custom Ford Econoline van.  I made a trailer from more offcuts of the parts frames, and spare wheels from other kits.  The V6 from the Capri went in the Econoline, that would have made a terrible real-life tow wagon. :grin:

Must ask my mum what happened to them after I left home and she moved house.  Probably got some photos buried in a box in the spare room.

/Pics.

Also, surely once the lighthouse keepers got sacked they had more time for bottle stuffing.

(not sexually).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolsHusband said:

You are a sarcastic twat KY. Give it a go, you might be older than you think, Old man.

Joking aside, it is a bit geeky but when you get started it is worthwhile. Even if it's just 30 mins here and there.

All you gotta do is close the box lid when you've had enough.

I only started because I'm in my 70's.

Got inspired, got stuck in, glad I did.

/ living the dream.

// TOTP

Point proven. 

• Thanks 1

Well boys - this looks like a potential kit off we have going here.

Anyway, its rather obvious that Micheal is just scared he might have a sticky incident with a spitfire... *

949156466_images(1).jpeg.8ed8d314e4d0f21ffdd3bb8bebdff0a6.jpeg

*will probably only make sense if you are of a older age and read a certain young lads diary. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This reminds me I must go and retrieve the ones I have on display at Classic Flyers, since those ungrateful arseholes haven't met their end of the bargain for those of us who pitched in a lot of time and effort to get that place from a pipe dream, to a working, functional museum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Ha ha - I'd just edited my previous post after I looked that up too :) So I wonder if there is anyway I can locate the truck?

TNL Facebook page barries will know where that truck ended up and probably remember the wired kit taking photos ...

Transport (Nelson) holding Ltd page ...

• Like 2