Gettinroundtuits Datsun Tonka toy

gettinroundtuit

Looking for a single cab Ute...... 2wd, got offered this after missing a nice courier by one day.

A certain fishing spot gunna be alot easier to get to now

Behold, one Nissan Datsun 4x4 2.7 turbo deezzil

IMG_20190622_085709.thumb.jpg.a11344b017f40a900a32ed9f35eb5d82.jpg

Plans are find a canopy for now, building a box/shelf behind seats for strops/tools etc.

Building a slide on camper to use for fishing/camping trips & at some stage toss the wellside & put a tray on the back.

Keeping the wellside for a trailer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Threw some money at it & treated it to a set of Gabriel shockies, it now sits in the drive with a flat battery.

Sum idiot left the radio on!

Resisting the temptation to dress it up, it ain't gunna be a showy money pit. Nudge bar, driving lights & canopy is about it!

And get another donk, freshen that up  & turn up the wick a bit. Just for the record with 3/4 tank of fuel it weighs 1670kg as it sits now. Be interesting how heavy the slide-on winds up being.

• Like 3

Rough mocking up means I can only go bout 1600mm forward from back of cab.

Looks like it'll be @ 4100 long x 2100 wide x 2000 high overall at this stage, + deck is @ 800 off the ground

IMG_20190707_111546.jpg

Pity it probably won't be ready enough for Augusts Hamner excursion.

Edited by gettinroundtuit

I muchly suggest adding a turbo to this. Especially with the extra weight it’s going to be SLOW.. 

we have run a fleet of 3-5 of these things on the farm for the last 20yrs. Had one with non turbo engine + Pajero turbo no intercooler and it went like a cut cat. Was aptly names the drift Ute. would go sideways everywhere easily do powerslides at 100kmh on gravel with muddies. Very fond memories. 

Keen to to see how your slide one camper goes!

6 hours ago, Rhyscar said:

I muchly suggest adding a turbo to this. Especially with the extra weight it’s going to be SLOW.. 

we have run a fleet of 3-5 of these things on the farm for the last 20yrs. Had one with non turbo engine + Pajero turbo no intercooler and it went like a cut cat. Was aptly names the drift Ute. would go sideways everywhere easily do powerslides at 100kmh on gravel with muddies. Very fond memories. 

Keen to to see how your slide one camper goes!

The turbo in it is only running 9 lbs boost, wouldn't have bought it without one. She steps out abit now on the tired donk, fresh motor & intercooler + wind up the boost........ Should be fun then!!

Already know how painfully slow they can be, Dad had a non turbo with a smaller motor

If weather behaves over the weekend I should be cutting & start assembling the bottom section.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tortron said:

Might you consider a pop up camper back. Make the floor and roof, connect with canvas sides and some extendable poles. Less weight and tucks away for aero

Gave it some thought........

For about 5 seconds.

You think I'm just building a  box to sleep in........ Hell No!!!! 

This is my mobile grandstand to park around the back of Teretonga too!

• Like 1

sweet project heres a pic of my camper i built a couple of years ago, if i can make one suggestion it would be to angle the front more than i did, sure did slow it down in anything more than a mild headwind, utes now in the paddock with a blown head , it had the fuel screw wound up and about 15 psi.Im 6 foot 3 and could just stand up in it. 

IMG_0749.JPG

13 hours ago, tortron said:

Might you consider a pop up camper back. Make the floor and roof, connect with canvas sides and some extendable poles. Less weight and tucks away for aero

very good idea, so good that i know where one is cheap for refurb.

• Like 1