School me on rocker adjusters

bonkas

Have had a catastrophic failure in my new engine build...

IMG_20190611_171547.jpg?width=960&height

Seems this happened because of a combination of flat adjusters, stiff springs and high lift cam, it appears the other exhaust valves show damage also (Have not had a chance to check intake side yet)

Does anyone know if there are adjusters available locally that will fit straight in? This is a 4g63 by the way.

I have been looking at these but reviews say they stuff out quickly...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-VW-BUG-BUS-HD-SWIVEL-VALVE-ADJUSTERS-VW-Type-1-2-3-Set-of-8-21-2031/330858969379?epid=667297488&hash=item4d08bb3923:g:8C0AAOSwdGFY3vH~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crane-99680-16-Rocker-Arm-Adjuster-in-Steel-3-8-Fits-Ford-FE/332880673478?epid=1340857478&hash=item4d813bfac6:g:kMkAAOSwQzJb6xUo

Not sure if these would fit...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camshaft-Rocker-Arm-Adjuster-Screw-for-Mitsubishi-L200-2-5-DiD-2005-2015/182290486900?epid=1716214156&hash=item2a715c1674:g:qJUAAOSwYIxX5Oax

I'm not quite sure what you have there,  are they hydraulic and you want adjustable ones? Or just more adjustment?

If hydraulic to manual you can swap complete rocker arms over, you might want to line bore that on a new engine though. (but you'd get away with it)

Not sure about rocker angles and aftermarket cam though.

35 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Well, what did they say about the damage?

At this stage we are thinking a bad valve but given there is also some damage on the other exhaust valves im not so sure.

@RUNAMUCK I will see what other pics I have and post them up in here.

I'd be talking more to Kelford mate. They absolutely know what they're doing...but no one is infallible. They may have made a small error on an already pushed envelope

From the photo (only) I have a theory as to what's happened, but I won't share it here as a single photo isn't anything like as good as actually looking at the valve stem to adjuster contact patch/witness marks.

Kelford have a good reputation so I reckon they're your best shot by far.

• Like 3

If your cam has had the shit ground out of it, a taller lash cap helps to correct the rocker geometry. IE bring the rocker arm further up, so it's not sweeping past the point of good geometry  especially with more lift from a big cam. 

• Like 2

I must be missing something here ... why is the head coming off before you have determined where you have a geometry and or bind problem? This sorta shit generally takes two people ... one doing the turning and the other armed with a flashlight and magnifying glass. Are these engines known to be problematic in terms of piston to valve clearance?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

If your cam has had the shit ground out of it, a taller lash cap helps to correct the rocker geometry. IE bring the rocker arm further up, so it's not sweeping past the point of good geometry  especially with more lift from a big cam. 

I bought a l28 years ago and this was the problem .

after installation of taller valve caps it was all good . The cam had a really aggressive grind and was a lot smaller.

my 2c

• Like 1

Is the rocker tip sweeping off the edge of the valve stem and into the chamfer? Certainly needs looking at carefully, I'd be getting out the engineers blue and looking at the sweep over the valve stem and the adjuster. Looks to me like the base circle has been dropped quite a bit with the added lift, which lifts the rocker arm up at the valve end. So you wind out the adjuster to make up this clearance but now the adjuster tip moves outwards on the valve stem. Not much you can do to fix that on this motor unless you hardface the follower pad at the other end of the rocker. Lash caps might help too but I am sure Kelford can help you out with this.  

Large radiused tip adjusters are certainly a good idea seeming you've got like 5mm more lift than OEM. Those L200 ones look the ticket. Worth spending $8 to find out. 

p.s. nice Big cam! 

Edit/ 4g63 sohc don't have a cam tunnel haha 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BobbyBreeze said:

Is the rocker tip sweeping off the edge of the valve stem and into the chamfer? Certainly needs looking at carefully, I'd be getting out the engineers blue and looking at the sweep over the valve stem and the adjuster. Looks to me like the base circle has been dropped quite a bit with the added lift, which lifts the rocker arm up at the valve end. So you wind out the adjuster to make up this clearance but now the adjuster tip moves outwards on the valve stem. Not much you can do to fix that on this motor unless you hardface the follower pad at the other end of the rocker. Lash caps might help too but I am sure Kelford can help you out with this.  

Large radiused tip adjusters are certainly a good idea seeming you've got like 5mm more lift than OEM. Those L200 ones look the ticket. Worth spending $8 to find out. 

p.s. nice Big cam! 

Edit/ 4g63 sohc don't have a cam tunnel haha 

I will be checking all these things, I have ordered a set of the L200 adjusters also but wont be here until late next month unless I can find a new set locally.

I am hoping to send the head to Kelfords for a second look also.

• Like 1