Any tips for establishing if I have a LSD? Nissan.

Unclejake

Ta. I saw those Spartan lockers when searching online yesterday. 

It's good to know (from the chassis plate) that my truck should have a ~4.3:1 rear diff with the same crown wheel diameter as found in some Patrols, but I'll need to look inside it to see if it has a LSD clutch pack. There's heaps of rusted out Safaris and Terranos here so used parts should be easy to get locally. My old Patrol had a factory locker (air/vacuum operated). I may get lucky enough to find one of those in a paddock... Here's hoping.

• Like 1

^I tried one of those in the Samurai (lockright), it was shit, undriveable. Constantly unlocking either axle at random. U-turns were impossible, driving a straight line was impossible tbh.

Even the diff shop couldn't get it to work. (There's a bit of a story here, but spam).

Don't imo

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

LSD checking. My method is jack it up make sure it’s neutral and handbrake off. get a friend to hold one wheel. You turn the other. If you can feel drag that’s more than just open diff and prop shaft weight drag then it’s limited slip :) 

most small trucks are just open. 

Chathams sounds amazing. What do you do down there?

Just tear off a corner, jam it under your tongue and wait for an hour or so. If the lagoon starts to look like rainbows, then there's a good chance it's LSD. / do a skid. 

As others have said, if it's a clutch type LSD (or a viscous for that matter), both wheels should rotate forwards when you spin one side. If the diff is worn out, it should still have some level of grab, but a person on the other side of the vehicle will be able to hold the wheel still. 

People have mentioned that torsen/helical diffs spin the wheels in opposite directions. It's unlikely that a truck like yours would have a torsen, but there's a test for them too. Jack the rear of the vehicle up, spin the input shaft and try to hold both of the wheels still. If it's torsen, both wheels  will spin forwards. This only happens when there's torque/load applied to all three shafts (input and both outputs), if you stop applying torque to one input/output it will unlock. 

• Like 7