Any tips for establishing if I have a LSD? Nissan.

Unclejake

VIN number is no use and there's no stickers on the diff. The vehicle is behaving like an open diff, but perhaps there's a chance it's got a buggered LSD clutch pack in there?

She's a 400.000kms old 1993 Nissan Atlas 4x4 F23... and there's not much online info for these trucks (also known as a Nissan Cabstar), but it's very similar mechanically to an early non-turbo Terrano or early Navara.TD27 non turbo and 5 speed. It's an import (came into NZ in 1995) with no factory VIN apparent. The NZ border VIN is on the chassis, and matches all the paperwork, but that's no use finding out axle details

Given my location and lack of  garage (or even a paved area) it'd be wonderful to establish if the vehicle has a worn LSD (so I can order parts in advance) without having to remove the brakes, axles and diff head just for a look, and then put it all back together again the same day without any improvement. I've just fitted some new free wheeling hubs (Navara) without issue. I need to leave the hubs in FREE as much as possible due to front CV angles, but I'm getting stuck at least once a day in one wheel drive so I want a tighter rear diff. I did try fitting Terrano automatic FWHs, but that turned out to be a major undertaking so I abandoned it.

Does anyone have a genius idea for checking if there may be an LSD inside that rear housing without pulling the diff head out?

2 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Old wifes tail that the wheels will turn in opposite directions if it's an lsd? Or is that for non lsd.....fuck knows

Will turn the same way if lsd. Open will go backwards 

If it's a stuffed lsd it would probably still do that spinning gently by hand

• Like 1

Just now, Yowzer said:

Can you see the diff nugget through the oil fill hole? Might give you some idea if you can see the centre

Ahaaa! That I will also try. Great thinking. I have been hankering for a smartphone endoscope anyway. I'll order one now

• Like 4

Snappy...snappy.

In other news: I have almost hit two young cattle beasts in as many weeks at night here. It's terrifying. They either just stand (black as hell) in the middle of the road, or bolt out of no-where right in-front of the vehicle. I put a 50" light bar on a week or so ago, but just about hit one at ~ 70kmph on Friday. I think I got its tail (only) with the passenger's headlight. It crossed in the rain and dark from my right. Praise be to the sweet baby Jesus that it didn't end up on my lap.

In an Atlas frontal impact you only have a thin sheet of metal and then your knees. You'd possibly be a long time waiting for an ambulance on this island... (arguably the next day. Some days I can drive for 5 hours without seeing another vehicle.)

EDIT: And yes, I carry a headlamp, rifle, boning knife and skinning knife in the truck at all times. Danger would be proud of me

• Like 4

From one end to the other (south to north) is about 1.5 hours non-stop  in each direction, but there's bits off either side too. When friends come to visit we usually go out for about a five hour look-see.

The Atlas is my only vehicle here so I'm kind of careful with her. The Holden crew here a few weeks ago were probably jealous but (TBH they were mainly really nice people).

/SPAM

• Like 2