unretard me about turbos

ThePog

My foolish truck project has a Nissan td42, I want a turbo for a wee bit more oomph and fuel efficiency.

I want to run a standard 10mm pump, from what I have read on the Safari forums a td05 16g is a good choice for this. I would prefer an internal wastegate for packaging and stealth reasons.

I also want a cheap but reliable turbo, probably second hand.

I am also the most ignorant fuckhead about it all, so i need you to school me on what is a good choice given those stipulations.

Go ahead.

• Like 1

Ive got a brand new holset he221, comes with v band dump pipe flange, boost outlet elbow and gaskets for $900. Would be the best match for td42 giving quick spool and still capable of over 300hp

2 hours ago, ThePog said:

I can't find much I go for these on td42s, what I can find indicates it might be a bit big..?

The basic rule I've learned is that a good turbo for a diesel is roughly the same as one for a petrol engine half the size. So roughly 2L turbo's.

You can get away with bigger turbo's and bigger exhaust housing sizes by fitting a bigger diesel pump, you could run a big Holset HX35 with a small exhaust housing with a big 12mm diesel pump and it'll spool well.

But in your case (and mine) with the standard 10mm pump, something from a 2L turbo petrol suits it well.

Mine is the same wheel specs as an Evo 3 with the the TD05 16G (big G).

EDIT: Its a Kinugawa which has options for 6cm, 8cm and 10cm exhaust housings. I used the 8cm but the 6cm would spool faster then choke it a bit at the top end.

A VF8 from a Subaru would work well and could maybe find at Pick a Part.

I wonder if you could even fit a cheap common TD04 from a Subaru or Mitsi (different exhaust flange) then later fit a TD05 with the same flange? 

• Like 1

Toyota CT26s are cheap as chips and a little bit shit, whack one of them on. Had one running on a 2.8 with a 10mm pump and although it took a bit to kick in, it boogied when it did. The LandCruiser 4.2s run them so should be a near enough match.

Realistically you can just mash anything on there from a 2-3L engine and make it work fine. Combine with a free flow exhaust (mufflers are for losers) and a big intercooler and you'll be sweet.

8 hours ago, Yowzer said:

Toyota CT26s are cheap as chips and a little bit shit, whack one of them on. Had one running on a 2.8 with a 10mm pump and although it took a bit to kick in, it boogied when it did. The LandCruiser 4.2s run them so should be a near enough match.

Realistically you can just mash anything on there from a 2-3L engine and make it work fine. Combine with a free flow exhaust (mufflers are for losers) and a big intercooler and you'll be sweet.

And some internet opinion;

'Although they are all called a ct26 there are many variations. You do not want one from an mr2 or celica as these are twin entry and have very restrictive exhaust housings.

As has been said, you want one from a 7mgte powered Supra- although these can be hard to find.'

I actually ran the twin scroll variant with a shitty home made manifold as it was supposed to have better spoolup, but it was on a smaller engine. I reckon it'd still be fine.

Just fondle eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-4-2L-1HD-T-CT26-Turbo-Charger-17201-17010-1720117010/173059175477?hash=item284b217435:g:JKMAAOSw7m9bBkwE

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=td42+turbo&_sacat=0