Beavers Yamaha V50

Beaver

Decided I needed to get a bit of big wheeled action. As much fun as the Jog is, its not really cut out for my long frame nor longer distances. So spotted a v50 on the tard and snapped it up. Trip up to Auckland with Geophy and bada bing bada boom

received_340787709906598.jpeg

Guy I bought it off had it since 2011/2012 at which time he got it off a guy from Te Aroha who worked at the council and drove it to work everyday for 20 years he reckoned. The rego had lapsed at some point so was re-registered in 2012 as a 1989 model but is actually a 79 according to the original rego details (still have a rego tag from 2003). Anyway, reg on hold so all good.

Got it home, fresh gas and oil, and fired right up. New battery and a couple of bulbs and all the electrics worked, perfect. Pulled carb to bits and cleaned out, otherwise haven't had to do much which is exactly what I wanted.

Next step was to sort out the seat. It came with a new cover, so was going to patch up the foam and redo it factory spec, but the master upholster Greg convinced me otherwise (didn't take much).

20190518_131437_tn.jpg

20190518_131421_tn.jpg

20190518_160931_tn.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just about ready for adventures. Fitted up some golden boys (tires), rather close fitment but seems to be all good....dreams of a front guard are gone haha. Tidied up the wiring etc as well so looks a lot cleaner now. 

received_2478421005772320.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bolted up th front engine mount to the factory frame mount (with washer's to suit the width), and then just made a plate that bolted to th back two frame mounts with hole for the rear engine mounting bolt. Will try find some pics.

All done with some steel plate, a grinder and a drill.

• 4 months later...

So turns out this thing is allergic to heavy rain. At the end of the first day on last years east cape ride when the heavens opened, it kept dieing and then wouldn't start. (got it going later that night so forgot about it). Then last weekend went on a ride with some dorklanders in the rain and had issues with it cutting out. It was only during the wettest part of the tide, and then later on when it had stopped raining it ran fine.

The only things (I can thing of) that are exposed to water/rain/spray are the air filter and the engine head including spark plug and HT lead. I tried riding along with the air filter off in case it was getting soaked but this didn't change anything. Pulling the HT lead off showed a bit of water on the inside of the plug socket, so at this stage I think that's the most likely culprit. its just the OG lifan one, so will try track down a better fitting/sealing one and see if that helps.

Anyone thing of anything else I'm missing? The rest of the electronics are tucked up in the body of the bike and no real way to get wet (I think) but will check that. On the basis the bike has been going fine, and was going fine when I started the ride and only started crapping out in the real heavy rain, and then ran fine again after the rain stopped, suggests to be it has to be rain/water related.

• Like 2