Ash’s Suzuki CS50 roadie

Ashkellybarr

I bought a scooter! And I need some help as I know nothing about them haha

it runs and has rego so it’s just general maintenance I need to know about. What fluids to use, things I should look at, where to get parts etc etc

the scooters a 1984 Suzuki roadie 50cc

i bought it cause it was cheap, and me and the misso want something cheap to run for short distance nipping out and miss’ to get to work when the weathers good.

also a good mate is opening his own shop doing painting and custom work so I’ll let him have free reign as a canvas, and the boys can take it with them to events as pit bike / advertising

its a three speed auto, not sure how it works but if someone could tell me what fluid to use it that would be awesome.

and anything to check with the breaks? Drum brake front and rear

18E723CD-851A-4CB3-8A92-92206B46E54B.png

• Like 2

Sweet bike! 

I'm not familiar with the 3 speed, but if it's similar to the 2 speed in my FA50 it'll be done with a series of centrifugal clutches that engage and take over the previous gear (the lower gears will have free-wheeling hubs so they can free spin once the next gear is engaged). 

Pretty much any old car oil should be fine, but I would recommend using a 4T motorbike oil for the transmission. They are designed to work with wet clutches, whereas many car oils have extra additives that can cause clutch slip. 

With any old 2 stroke scooters, it's always a good idea to give the exhaust a clean out. They tend to get filled up with carbon after 30+ years of tootling around. There's a few ways to do this, but my favourite is to pull the exhaust off and jam a blowtorch down one end until the carbon inside is glowing red hot, then hit it with compressed air until it chooches all of the carbon away. When you get it right, it smells like a steam train and chuffs out loads of white/blue-white smoke. It's satisfying to do (warning: your neighbours may not agree). 

If it's running well you can leave most of it alone. Just make sure it has 2 stroke oil in the tank and go for hoons. 

• Like 2

Awesome cheers! Yeah Some google search’s said something about wet clutches but It was pretty breif.

But I get what you mean about free wheeling, much the same as a push bike when you stop pedaling

is there a way to test if these are slipping? And if they are what would be the next corse of action?

would the springs on the clutches get soft over time and engage to early or are they a pretty reliable system?

The electric ign isn’t working either so I’ve got to do some fault finding on that.

kick start works but the misso will need that working.

i read it runs a 20-30vac dyna with a 12vdc rectifier, small battery to feed starter and lights. I’m pretty confident with wiring but if there’s any common failures to look at first it would be much appreciated 

Most common fault ive found with electric start is brushes on the starter or a poked start relay.

Brakes, might just need adjusting, might need new pads. For $30 id just replace the pads as if its been sitting forma while the brake material could have fallen off the shoe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ashkellybarr said:

Awesome cheers! Yeah Some google search’s said something about wet clutches but It was pretty breif.

But I get what you mean about free wheeling, much the same as a push bike when you stop pedaling

is there a way to test if these are slipping? And if they are what would be the next corse of action?

would the springs on the clutches get soft over time and engage to early or are they a pretty reliable system?

It’s usually a reliable system and if it’s not having issues, don’t touch it. 

That said, heavier springs in the primary clutch will perk up the launches a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DB8-TypeR said:

Most common fault ive found with electric start is brushes on the starter or a poked start relay.

Brakes, might just need adjusting, might need new pads. For $30 id just replace the pads as if its been sitting forma while the brake material could have fallen off the shoe

Sweet, yeah was thinking I might pull the drums off and give them a clean out a see what they look like.

if I do need new shoes can I just call any old scooter place?

If you’ve got the wheels of for brake pads, then have a look/replace the wheel bearings usually only a few dollars each and again if it’s been sitting they’ll be pretty stuffed/rusty/dry

• Like 1

i put the 80cc version of this 3 speed motor on a go kart as super kid friendly being 3 spd auto while still being awesomely quick once you wind it out through the gears.

found it hard to find info, but everything said the automatic system was a really well designed and bulletproof system. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

i put the 80cc version of this 3 speed motor on a go kart as super kid friendly being 3 spd auto while still being awesomely quick once you wind it out through the gears.

found it hard to find info, but everything said the automatic system was a really well designed and bulletproof system. 

Yeah seems to be good so I’ll do the fluid and leave it.

went for a blat yesterday and she’s pretty fucking guttless, hits 20km then falls flat as a pancake. Smokes like fuck too.

the old Columbian Man i bought it off had the carb rebuilt and said it’s run far better since but with 8 other scooters he’s not had the time to look at it.

im thinking it’s a mix of a blocked up exhaust and maybe running a bit rich so I’ll take truenotchs advice on cleaning that out and see if that helps.

aside from that, it starts so easy a toddler could kick start it haha all the switches work but indicators stay on so Ill wire in a new flasher and chuck some Ali LED lamps in it to brighten it up.

• Like 2

Whipped the exhaust off yesterday, it’s the original for sure and all I can I see in it with a phone light is shiny sticky black tar.

filled it with break cleaner, degreaser and an assortment of other random aerosols I had sitting around and shook the shit out of it for a good while. Tipped it out but not much came out so thinking the packing socked it up so let it sit for a while to air as I had thoughts of me bolting it back on and starting it only to go off as a hand grenade

not much difference so I’ll give the heat a go. Found this on YouTube and looks like fun so I’ll dig out the heat gun and wait for the miss’ to go out so she doesn’t put a stop to my fun for fear of me burning the house down 

failing that there’s super cheap generic systems on trade me with an expansion chamber and straight through muffler for 30 inc postage so I’ll cut one of them up and fit it under fareing.

gotta be miles better then some non straight through thing with multi chambers from +35 years ago

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ashkellybarr said:

gotta be miles better then some non straight through thing with multi chambers from +35 years ago

Which ones are you looking at? If it’s a pit bike exhaust, they’re not great. You’ll lose low down torque and possibly never get in “on pipe” (they’re not engineered well at all). You’d be better off with a cleaned out standard pipe. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

Which ones are you looking at? If it’s a pit bike exhaust, they’re not great. You’ll lose low down torque and possibly never get in “on pipe” (they’re not engineered well at all). You’d be better off with a cleaned out standard pipe. 

Yeah was just looking at a generic ones on trademe. Think I might be worse off?

Yeah, don’t bother. See if you can de-coke yours first and look at alternatives later. 

The old exhaust I had on my FA50 worked well. It was a small car resonator with a cap on each end to step down to the scooter pipe size. It sounded good and performed surprisingly well. Much better than the pocket bike spanny on the other FA we had.

• Like 1