VGs SXS - YXZ1000R

Vintage Grumble

44 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

Awesome project wouldn't mind myself..

As far as the trailer build I have a similar designed trailer for my Honda which has been great except it continued to crack the risers for the top rail on the sides from the points from the axle forward to the front.. the issue is these are limiting the bending moment and there is no triangulation.. I ended up shortening the cross bar along the front so the sides dip down to almost triangulate the sides similar to how your back section is and then I added a diagonal in just the first section.

Sorry if my explanation is garbage, but it might save you a repair job after its galv or painted.

I think I know what you mean. I was considering adding in triangulation like this or similar,

wy0ePVQ.jpg

Most of the weight in the SXS is probably just in front of the rear tyres.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently finished this trailer designed for side by side, small tractor, Two quads etc.

Engineer mate suggested doing the bulk of the welding from side to side with minimal welds running front to back, which allows the trailer to flex just a lil bit.

Seems to be working so far.

20231219_171316.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Looks nice, there is a lot less bending moment with a tandem axle, as the point loading between spring hangers for weight distribution is far more spread.

Yea I went a bit overboard. Probably could have got away with one axle and no brakes. Also took the drawbar steel right back to the centre pivot of the tandem springs. Tows real nice.