VGs SXS - YXZ1000R

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, glen said:

Nice, looks like it could be based off an Edge Mini Sprint. Get IRS and class 10 registration  

Aww chur, I'll have to look up the edge mini Sprint. Yeh, they shocks are on my list of things to replace (along with a bit of the rear end framing) but not sure I can be arsed changing the rear to IRS. I'll see how shit it is to drive, and decide from there. The main problem with shocks is they are so friggin expensive!

30 minutes ago, glen said:

Could get some great/terrible aliexpress spec shocks 

https://images.app.goo.gl/Rzyu7FbExECzS8J96

Some of those look pretty tempting actually/good enough for this basic old heap. The cheapest option I've found in a known brand would be these fox air shocks https://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=offroad&t=shocks&f1=type&v1=Air Shock

Not cheap, but not crazy. Well until you add freight I guess.

I need to flip this thing on it's lid, so I can finish welding up the frame. I got it running, to heat up the oil pre draining, it was running like a hat full of vagina's, but It's probably only run like 5 times in the last 18 years, so that's understandable. When I drained the oil it seemed to be mostly petrol, so I guess a float is stuck. Whipped the carbs off for a clean, hopefully that will help it run better.

Regards, VG.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

The 20 year wait is almost over,

I remember waiting 10 years to have a hoon once.

I hope you have a better experience than mine. In the 10 years the chassis had sagged, there was gravel rash and excessive piston slap.

Mind you I only got a bottle of Marque Vue into her as prep, you have done the full rebuild. Well done Sir!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...