VGs SXS - YXZ1000R

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Truenotch said:

This thing Ian looking snazzy with the front panels in place. 

Have you checked or set up the bump steer on this bad boy? 

Why thank you sir. The panels do stop a fair bit of sand getting into your undies.

And no, i've not really checked it for bump steer. I think my bro in law worked it all out, but I couldn't understand his workings/instructions and just welded the knuckles on in the spot where everything seemed the least shit/cleared everything. When I redo the front suspension for the braked hubs, i'll try copy the Barracuda front end as best I can, as I have the plans, and they worked all that shit out.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeh nah the motor didn't like the breathers going into the plenum, which is odd, because that seems to be how they are on the bike? I've run the breather tube high up the roll cage, to try keep it out of the smut, will do some research and try find a solution. 

Anyways, the deck of the trailer is pretty much done, so got some goodies to carry on with, 

ok5TYeQ.jpg

My original plans went out the window, it is going to be sprung now, and I'll have little fold up ramps rather than a tilting deck. Made the spring hangers today, clamped the shit out of them to avoid warping, 

inHZxN8.jpg

The deck is made from 40mm wide RHS, and the spring components are 50mm wide, so welded them to 50x5 angle, which will get welded to the deck. Should strengthen it up a bit too. 

XahbeC6.jpg

Hope to get the draw bar on next week, and then figure out the axle width and location. 

Regards, VG. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I couldn't get the float to un-jam by smacking the carbs, so whipped the carbs off and opened them all up, all clean as a whistle, so the sand was definitely coming up the vent tubes. Nothing obviously wrong with them, and once refitted it ran perfectly again. Not sure if these carbs just don't like getting slapped around, or if the float needles are a bit worn, causing them to stick? 

Anyways, very short video of the last outting, thanks to @keltik

• Like 9

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, cletus said:

That looks fun.

E&H motors in pukekohe do a lot of tuning/turboing/adding roll cage bars/etc on these things, they may have parts you need?  

Yeh they set up the shocks on this one, re-valved them and put dual rate springs on the front. They do the wheel spacers, but are super spendy, and they are just 4x110 all around, so china might be the best bet. With the cage stuff I'll ask if they do weld in bits, but I think they generally build complete new cages from scratch. I'll look into that before I start anything. There is one of their re-flashed ECU's on TM ATM, sort of tempted by that.

• Like 2

Pretty sure bro in law does roll cage stuff etc as goes through a few sxs and fixes for other people

He's in papamoa, I can inquire with him tomorrow when I see him? 

Has sweet tow trailer/camper set up for s. Island adventures too

sbaWeku.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took this thing out for another test drive, starting to get used to what it can do. Rubbish cell vids of a few rips:

Mate from Ack didn't manage to break it, and he's an expert at breaking things, so that's encouraging.

Not sure if you can tell from the vid, but the exhaust sounds very restrictive, so that's on the mods list now. (Not that it needs more power)

Also discovered it's limited to 125kmh, probably don't need to go any faster, but I don't like things telling me how fast I can go. 

Attempted to do some jumps, but was a bit chicken, as the jump wasn't great, and you had to go faster that I felt comfortable with to get air. Getting braver with each drive though.

Regards, VG.

• Like 9

Had a gork at the exhaust, it has a spark arrestor in it, which looks fairly restrictive. The internet tells me removing it has no bad effects and some benefits. I also broke all 6 bolts that hold it in, so guess it's staying out for now. It's a fair bit louder so will see it it's too loud next outing.

Mcez9nh.jpeg

EXjTc58.jpeg

Leaves a huge hole, but shiny cover makes it less accommodating.

EQAhTrJ.jpg

kiVi299.jpeg

Regards, VG.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2