Te Urewera Undertaking, 2019 Nov 29th, 30th, Dec 1st.

2 minutes ago, chris r said:

Just keep riding it and let it burn off tbh 

its 500ml of gearbox oil, not 2 stroke oil, it doesnt burn off, just gets brunt down into a tacky shitty mess that gums everything up, plus would fill my pipe with shit. im pretty hori, but not thaaaaat hori. If it was 2t oil / petrol yea id just smokescreen until its gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey J-5,

Is someone going to tell the tiniroto pub that 30+ thirsty, dusty misfits will be stopping by for an ale? Maybe thaw a few extra maggot packs/etc. Such folk are always pleased to get a bit of warning. One time the NZDatsun crowd cleaned out every last bourbon RTD at a pub stop. (The publican pleaded with me to tell her we were coming next time)

• Like 1

ROFL!

And yes, I called in at the Tiniroto pub the other week, pretty cool little place. The Husband/Wife/child team didn't blink when I said we'd probably want food and drink for 30+, though its now like 40. I suggested that we'd try and order plain and quick food to get it through a bit quicker. Probably still want to allow like 2hrs though I suspect, and just order, and accept that you'll get what you're given, when you get it

Dunno what the best option is on day 3 as Motu cafe is tiny. Might be able to rustle something up with warning. I'll probably just be eating too much in the morning, and carrying a snack to make it through.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, johnnyfive said:

Dunno what the best option is on day 3 as Motu cafe is tiny. Might be able to rustle something up with warning. I'll probably just be eating too much in the morning, and carrying a snack to make it through.

Is  that the one at Matawai, or the other one at the beginning (heading back toward Opotiki) 

That lady at Matawai didnt have enough meat thawed for the toasties. Luckily @Thphantum (aka Gordan Ramsey) cranked up the BBQ while the trailer was repaired using a chainsaw and a couple.of tiedowns.

I did a land speed record attempt on the 150 the other night. Managed 1km/h per cc. Full aero tuck, chin on the tank, wide open until my back hurt.

147.....148.......148.5...........148.6....... haha

worth doing to say I’ve done it. But I’m never doing that to myself again :grin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've just mapped out all the fuel stations along the route. I've bolded and underlined the big stretches. I'd say 2 will be a problem for many of us - 155km is a big stretch! 

Also @johnnyfive - can you confirm that there's fuel at Waikaremoana holiday park? Their website says yes, but google doesn't list any fuel stations around there. 

Day 1: 
22km - Taneatua 
14km - Z Awakeri
49km Kopuriki
17km - Murupara (slight detour) 
66km from Kopuriki OR 49km from Murupara - Ruatahuna 
48km - Waikaremoana Holiday Park (their website says they have fuel, google doesn't list it. Can this be confirmed? 

Day 2: 
155km - Gisborne
(I can't find anything along the route) 
Alternative: 
55km - Frasertown - 55km detour (about the same length as the current route) rejoin with main route at Te Reinga Falls. 
95km - Gisborne

Day 3: 
38km - Te Karaka 
40km - Matawai (detour) 
119km from Te Karaka OR 70km from Matawai  - Tirohanga
7km - Opotiki 
36km - Finish

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think I can make that. Last year I did Te Araroa to Opotiki on one whole tank, plus my 2ltr fuel can.  
Might have saved a bit of gas drafting behind @Geophy though. 
Perhaps slam a 20ltr in a back up vehicle as extra insuarance? I know some guys bikes have fuel tanks like a pregnant woman's bladder........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Updated. Day 1 is looking super safe for fuel stops :)

Day 1: 
22km - Taneatua 
14km - Z Awakeri
49km Kopuriki
17km - Murupara (slight detour) 
66km from Kopuriki OR 49km from Murupara - Ruatahuna 
48km - Waikaremoana Holiday Park (their website says they have fuel, google doesn't list it. Can this be confirmed? 

Day 2: 
155km - Gisborne
(I can't find anything along the route) 

Day 3: 
38km - Te Karaka 
40km - Matawai (detour) 
119km from Te Karaka OR 70km from Matawai  - Tirohanga
7km - Opotiki 
36km - Finish

• Like 1