Te Urewera Undertaking, 2019 Nov 29th, 30th, Dec 1st.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, anglia4 said:

I thought there was still only 3 support vehicles as per J5's post a couple pages back?

Yep three, @MopedNZ got a little carried away in his estimation. We had a pretty similar number of riders last year, and two support vehicles was plenty. The hope was to have as few vehicles as possible, just to simplify things, so thought maybe you didn't need to bring the 3rd vehicle? If you feel you must, then go ahead, but if your gear/driver can go with Ned, that would be preferable.     

Yeah semi exaggerated. 

Just more recalling the events of last year. With the 2 vehicles + both towing trailers we were pretty set. There were times that we lost one or the other vehicle which definitely slowed things down a bit. More vehicles with much less cell reception and added remoteness was just making me ponder.

One of the trailers fell apart on the first day and then on the second day the tow hitch snapped too. So emergency repairs with an arc welder and 8 pairs of sunglasses managed to make it get through the event. But also was a bit of an eye opener. Definitely needed both trailers and the room in all vehicles was eventually taken by riders who were off their bikes till repairs could be completed. I have been skimming over this thread so haven't kept up with whos doing what. 

Just felt like one of the vehicles might be half full of people already and in the worst case scenario having someone with a cooked bike but no space in the vehicle would be a bit of a stitch up. I get people wanting to join along because it's fun as fuck. But it's a motorcycle trip; of which all of us that are riding bikes have prepared for significantly and many have even purchased bikes specifically to come on the ride. If I didn't have a bike to use I wouldn't come. 

I already had to stop a possible 4th vehicle hitching along for fun because they felt like they were missing out as that was just not at all needed. We're all adults and of course people can do what they like. Just less stress for Mr J5 would be ideal. 

Also tubes etc; this is the last week I'll guarantee I can get them in before the ride. Lemme knowwwwww.

49 minutes ago, MopedNZ said:

Yeah semi exaggerated. 

Just more recalling the events of last year. With the 2 vehicles + both towing trailers we were pretty set. There were times that we lost one or the other vehicle which definitely slowed things down a bit. More vehicles with much less cell reception and added remoteness was just making me ponder.

One of the trailers fell apart on the first day and then on the second day the tow hitch snapped too. So emergency repairs with an arc welder and 8 pairs of sunglasses managed to make it get through the event. But also was a bit of an eye opener. Definitely needed both trailers and the room in all vehicles was eventually taken by riders who were off their bikes till repairs could be completed. I have been skimming over this thread so haven't kept up with whos doing what. 

Just felt like one of the vehicles might be half full of people already and in the worst case scenario having someone with a cooked bike but no space in the vehicle would be a bit of a stitch up. I get people wanting to join along because it's fun as fuck. But it's a motorcycle trip; of which all of us that are riding bikes have prepared for significantly and many have even purchased bikes specifically to come on the ride. If I didn't have a bike to use I wouldn't come. 

I already had to stop a possible 4th vehicle hitching along for fun because they felt like they were missing out as that was just not at all needed. We're all adults and of course people can do what they like. Just less stress for Mr J5 would be ideal. 

Also tubes etc; this is the last week I'll guarantee I can get them in before the ride. Lemme knowwwwww.

I will prob bring double cab ute with canopy this year so more bums on seats

4 hours ago, anglia4 said:

Dad is planning to bring his F150, we are hoping to be able to have room on the back to pick up 2 broken bikes. Its a 6 seater.

Trying to avoid a trailer if we have enough room just to make it a bit easier to get out of the way of "Young Brody in his venerable bush Hilux"

We will do a trial pack this week and see how much space we've got.

i would probs strongly not reccomend not bringing an F150, the motu road is incredible narrow in places, this thing would just be a burden, if we met cars coming the other way (which we always do, as rememeber this is a public road) you will have to back up for miles, and with this many bikes would just be a giant clusterfuck

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Thphantum said:

I'm confident I will sort a trailer, neighbour has a car trailer that could work as it is nice and low and lots of tie off points.

Not sure how familiar you are with the roads in this area but a car trailer wont be much fun for a reasonable portion of it....

Also relevant to blizzos comment above.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anglia4 said:

Blackwood is my brother. Dads driving the Ute.

all good totally understand all that.

Dad will be bringing his gear too so the 3 of us will likely take turns riding as our backs fuck out haha

Ahh excellent, good to know he's your brother, was hoping there wasn't a 4th vehicle wanting to come.

If you guys want to entertain the idea of car pooling with Ned, that would be choice, if not, then i'm sure things will work out OK.

Just trying to help sort this out before the day, and slightly lower J5's stress levels, don't want anyone getting left in the forest to be raped/eaten/traded for muskets.

Starting to get pretty excited for this *squeeeee*    

Sweet we will have a yarn about it at shed night.

1 hour ago, BLIZZO said:

i would probs strongly not reccomend not bringing an F150, the motu road is incredible narrow in places, this thing would just be a burden, if we met cars coming the other way (which we always do, as rememeber this is a public road) you will have to back up for miles, and with this many bikes would just be a giant clusterfuck

I'd have thought anything with a trailer would be more of a burden in that situation than something without a trailer?

• Like 2