Te Urewera Undertaking, 2019 Nov 29th, 30th, Dec 1st.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thphantum Work ute could well be our best bet thank you! Will confirm a bit closer, would be a good option though. 

I'm pretty confident on knowing the fuel stops on day 1 and 3, but 2 is a bit of an unknown, pretty sure theres no gas from Waikaremoana through to Gisborne unless you detour and/or backtrack. From Lake Waikaremoana to Gisborne on the route we're hoping to take, looks to be 155km. Surely thats achievable for most bikes without jerry can? Or just pinch some off one of those frugal slow bikes. 
As far as accommodation goes I'll leave that up to the individuals to sort that out among themselves. I've booked a room with potentially 1 surplus bed (for now) at Waikaremoana. 

59 minutes ago, DB8-TypeR said:

Im keen to do a rece of the murupara to gizzy bit. But wont be for a couple months probably so may not be of use.

Doubt I will have a suitable bike for the trip by then however

Were you looking at heading around there anyway? Or making a special looksie trip? I had thought about just going hammer down round (most of) the loop (in a car) in one day to get it all figured out. You could ride a questionable CT? 

• Like 1

Been meaning to do the waikaremoana trip at some stage by car so perfect excuse. May not be a winter trip though, will see how weather/life goes and if nobody has done a recce will do so and report back. Id imagine there will be next to nothing re:gas after murupara and before gisborne?

Will see how the mrs is closer to the time before I can commit to the ride, may have Dax done by then also depending how carried away I get with the spacy

• Like 1

Yea most people will need fuel to do 155, my xr250 wouldn’t even do that on a tank. I think my cub with auxiliary tank and big block gets like 80kms or some shit so I’m guessing some of us might need to chuck a 5l in the support Wag as well for that stink. Or strap a collabsable fuel container to our backs or some shit 

12 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Has anyone given much thought to the nuts and bolts of this trip? ( beyond the once they need to undo, and do up, and and, and do up on the bikes)

who's keen to share a dorm at the lake whakamarino lodge? (I'm aiming for the very cheapest possible option)

I'm dead keen to out the distance between fuel stops.  I've got a dinky wee 2l  gas can. But if it's too far between gas stops I'll need a larger (mor cumbersome) gas can.

Lock me in for dorm share

• Like 1

I've booked a 'fisherman's cabin' at the Holiday Park, just cause it's what I was familiar with. 

Sounds as though Lodge has food as available, though I understand it's, 10km or so beyond the lake down the hill. 

It's no big deal where everyone stays, depending on numbers and how early you book I feel like beds might get a bit limited, and we could end up spread between both places regardless. Just have to make sure everyone is happy finding their bed for the night and knows where to go in the morning.

Lexy has a little Mazda Premacy that is supposedly a 7 seater... but you better be a small person for the back seats though! but you all ride small bikes so should be fine? It also has a teeny tow bar for a teeny trailer (but i dont has trailer).

I realistically wont do anything to the scoot as too much other shit to spend time and money on... but keen to potentially partake in shenanigans somehow. Plus @sentra will break down on day 1 and we can have a 2 day vengaboys sing along party!

So don't rely on me as support vehicle, but when push comes to shove, i can 100% be bullied into attending :)

• Like 1