Te Urewera Undertaking, 2019 Nov 29th, 30th, Dec 1st.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll be heading up from the manawatu, will have work ute and tandem cage trailer hopefully with a few other penny pinchers with me, we could use that as support Wag, just some mild vetting of driver required, or we might have someone keen to drive support 

• Thanks 1

So looking at it on phone, it's possible all of day two from Waikaremoana to Gisborne (155km) has no fuel, unless there's some back country servo that's not on maps. 

Also on 3rd day between TeKaraka and Opotiki there is no gas either, about 115km. 

Will put this into main post once 100% confirmed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And yeah as far as support vehicle goes, we were really lucky and grateful to have @Thphantum and @MaxPower tag along last year and tend to our problems.

If we end up with large numbers again two vehicles might be a good idea, but if possible for simplicities sake, I think one vehicle with a few seats in it and a decent trailer should be all we need to follow along behind and pick up the pieces. 

You can't prevent every unexpected bike failure but not having to rely on the trailer for a ride or luggage is dope. Some level of bike prep/packing light goes a long way.

• Thanks 1

Just been doing my due diligence.
The Lake Whakamarino Lodge at Tuai is around 10kms  further than the Lake Waikaremoana Holiday Park. (Give or take)  And a single dorm bed is only $30 per night. And I can get a mean hot feed, and a cooked breakfast there.  That also means, no carrying a tent, or a bedroll. (Those were a p.i.t.a. last year) Plus after sleeping in/on K-marts finest at the batch (with bruised ribs) I swore I wasn't doing that again. 
I'd defo prefer to stay with the majority of the other participants. But I'm too smart/old and fucked to be roughing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

kapiti

go on twist my arm, keen as

will bring elgrand (doesnt have a tow bar yet tho) but can squeeze 2 bikes in it im sure or if i get a tow bar then 8 seats

someone else can drive it as a support vehicle/rwd gravel drifter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Truenotch said:

@mark105 - how many seats does your safari have?

Yeah Safari is a 5 seater, pretty much be same spec as Max's land cruiser last year once you pop a trailer on the back. Only SWB though but i should have a roof pod on it by then for gear but would have no issue following on any terrain we decide to take. The dilemma would be do i 4WD along behind you lot or do i take richard up on his offer of TS185 and hoon on some dirt. If the latter, i am sure we can find a driver for it.

• Like 5

On 21/05/2019 at 21:14, Beaver said:

Assuming I man up and do a big block swap on my v50, I am so down for this. Will share shit yarns about the waikaremoana power scheme for those willing to listen/I'll tell you anyway

Phase 1 complete. lifan aquired.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Has anyone given much thought to the nuts and bolts of this trip? ( beyond the once they need to undo, and do up, and and, and do up on the bikes)

who's keen to share a dorm at the lake whakamarino lodge? (I'm aiming for the very cheapest possible option)

I'm dead keen to out the distance between fuel stops.  I've got a dinky wee 2l  gas can. But if it's too far between gas stops I'll need a larger (mor cumbersome) gas can.